Rear Strut Tower Brace Installation???

• Sponsors (?)

According to the book " How to Modify Mustang Suspension"

There is actually quite a bit of load placed on the rear strut housing...and it is common to actually weld the rear strut tower brace to the rollcage bars that extend to the rear, in order to tie the entire rear together.

The book recommends welding the rear brace in , but they show a picture of it just bolted in around the strut opening ..

Mike, strut or shock it still needs to be tied together. Well, actually it doesnt NEED to be tied together but it should be. I have the same book referenced above and its true alot of guys do weld the rear roll cage bars too the shock towers....

Also, where did you get that SMR brace??

I installed one on my 91 Hatch. It was pretty simple, just a couple of drilled holes.

Its important to leave everything loose until all the bolts have been started, then you can cinch everything down. The other tricky part is cutting the shock covers so that they still fit but cover the majority of the hole.

Who knows what it does without measurements but it looks good and made me feel good.

Install Complete

Thanks for all the feedback and opinions Guys. I got it all mounted at my shop today. Really straight forward, as mentioned above. Just some accurate measurements to make sure it's level and true, then tighten her down little by little, alternating sides to torque it evenly. I even custom cut the plastic tower covers to recover the towers making it nice and neat with only the brace showing.

I don't know what application some of you utilize your Mustangs for, but for everyday driving, weaving through traffic, and pushing it through winding roads, the rear brace really help stiffen the rear flex when accelerating out of turns. I'm very pleased and the result is noticeable. Better traction when you launch from a stop, not so much. Lol.

SteedaFox91: I got it from griffinsmustangsource.com. They seem to be a smaller outfit, but they are really personable with great customer service good prices, and quick shipping. I purchased my entire suspension/exhaust setup from them and I'm completely happy. You'll have to call them for the best deals, and talk to Griff or Jay.