Rear Sway Bar Question?

ike34

Jan 16, 2004
Waterloo, IA
When I bought my car it came with no rear sway bar and I want to put one back on, I found a 03 mach 1 and a 98 cobra one. Which one would be better? Ive read that the 03 mach 1 is 23mm and it is solid, and also found that the 98 cobra is 25mm but I dont know if it is solid, does anybody know?

Thanks
Todd

• Sponsors (?)

They are both solid. The early Cobras used a hollow bar that was prone to snapping and then in 1997, ford redesigned a 25mm bar (P/N F7ZZ-5A772-AA) that fixed the snapping issue on the Cobra

The stock bar is 21MM. I'd go with the 23mm bar to try and maintain some balance in relation to the front bar. Keep in mind, the stiffer the rear bar, the more prone the rear will be to kick out so unless you have other suspension components that would add more front grip, you don't want to add more oversteer without being able to test it in a controlled environment.. Personally, i'd find a stock fox bar

Last edited:
They are both solid.

The stock bar is 21MM. I'd go with the 23mm bar. Keep in mind, the stiffer the rear bar, the more prone the rear will be to kick out. Personally, i'd find a stock fox bar

I do not have one on the rear of mine right now. what do they help with & do I really need one? My car never go's to the track. & I know this is a stupid question but what do you mean "the more prone the rear will be to kick out"? I think I know what you mean but not really sure.Thanks

I do not have one on the rear of mine right now. what do they help with & do I really need one? My car never go's to the track. & I know this is a stupid question but what do you mean "the more prone the rear will be to kick out"? I think I know what you mean but not really sure.Thanks

Oversteer vs Understeer

Basically stiffer bar in the rear increases the tendency for the rear to oversteer...or want to come around on you in handling situations. A stiffer rear bar tends to make the inside tire lift. The more it lifts..the less traction you have in the rear. So it's an art to balance this out to get a nice nuetral feeling where front grip equals rear grip.

Granted, our cars are set up with understeer (or the nose tending to push through a turn) from the factory just like most other passenger cars, so adding a slightly stiffer bar in the rear may make the car more "nuetral"...ie not wanting to "push" the nose through the turn or have the rear end want to slide out either.

That's a blanket statement. The OP will need to decide on his own really.

Mustang Anti-sway Bars

However, i think i remember something about SN95 bars not working on Fox bodies? Might want to check on that first. :shrug:

Oversteer vs Understeer

Basically stiffer bar in the rear increases the tendency for the rear to oversteer...or want to come around on you in handling situations. A stiffer rear bar tends to make the inside tire lift. The more it lifts..the less traction you have in the rear. So it's an art to balance this out to get a nice nuetral feeling where front grip equals rear grip.

Granted, our cars are set up with understeer (or the nose tending to push through a turn) from the factory just like most other passenger cars, so adding a slightly stiffer bar in the rear may make the car more "nuetral"...ie not wanting to "push" the nose through the turn or have the rear end want to slide out either.

That's a blanket statement. The OP will need to decide on his own really.

Mustang Anti-sway Bars

However, i think i remember something about SN95 bars not working on Fox bodies? Might want to check on that first. :shrug:

Thanks for explaining that. I figured it was something like that but was just too lazy to go searching for the answer myself.:D