Rear wheel backspacing

ROLLIN5.0

Nov 19, 2004
Tulsa, OK
I just put some 275/40/18's on the back yesterday, and I noticed something funny. The passenger side wheel sits, what looks to be, about an inch further in the fenderwell than the driverside. The driverside tire is almost flush with the fender while the passenger tire is rubbing on the axle damper when I make left turns. Is my car seriously screwed, or is that normal?
Brandon

• Sponsors (?)

Since at Ford quality is job 1, you can expect some variance. But that sounds a little excessive. I would swap the tires from one side to the other, just to make sure the buck-toothed side doesn't move with the wheels (possibly a wheel issue?).

But before you do that, measure the distance from the tire face to the inner edge of the fender lip (at the top center point). Do that by setting a straight edge on the tire and measuring from the straight edge. A level works well for this. That way you can make sure it's not just a perception, angle of perspective thing.

That's not what I wanted to hear. I just measured, and the passenger side sidewall is 1.5" inside the outer fender. The driverside is only .5". I guess my eyes are still calibrated pretty well. I do think it need control arm bushings though. It walks around on me a little bit with sudden throttle changes. Maybe that has something to do with it.
Brandon

I just found the problem. I changed the springs a while back, and I just got under the car to have a look at everything. The passenger side spring is off it's mount on the bottom. I haven't been able to see how this happened, or why, but atleast I found something that could be causing the problem.
Brandon