Rear Whining ?

My rear end sounds like a supercharger on steroids. This noise came about after I drove 95-100mph for 5 hours on the interstate :shrug:

I can hear the noise even when I am not accelerating :(

Also I have had a slight pop when turning corners for awhile now..

Is this a axle issue, or do i need to get the rear rebuilt again?

• Sponsors (?)

What oil??:D That will deff cause it to start whining.:nonono: When it was previaously rebuilt there was to much clearance between the gears and spinning that fast for that ong caused them to wear more on the outside of the gears.

well the whine seems to almost go completely away when i pop it into neutral while the car rolls..

i do have a mismatched tire on the back of the car.. but the sound did not come till a week or two later after

the pop/clunk sound happens randomly when im turning, and comes from the rear

its a strange sound, the only way i can describe it is that it sounds exactly like hitting the trunk release button from inside the car :shrug:

im gonna jack the car up tommorrow and spin the wheel/inspect the rear again

well the whine seems to almost go completely away when i pop it into neutral while the car rolls..

i do have a mismatched tire on the back of the car.. but the sound did not come till a week or two later after

the pop/clunk sound happens randomly when im turning, and comes from the rear

its a strange sound, the only way i can describe it is that it sounds exactly like hitting the trunk release button from inside the car :shrug:

im gonna jack the car up tommorrow and spin the wheel/inspect the rear again

If it only happens when it's in gear, then I would presume that it's a misalignment in the gears causing the whining noise. A bearing problem would be continuous so long as the car was rolling, whereas a gear problem would be more prevelant under load. the pop is probably a problem with the locker.

Kurt

Well guys I put the car on jackastands and spun the wheels. Appears to be alot of slop/chatter coming from differential ..

Im gonna have to bite the bullet and get the rear end rebuilt again

What exactly will i need beside gears?

Now I hear the traction lok lasts quite along time (as long as the car is not being used for racing).. anyone know how long this unit lasts? I never vouched to have the t-loc rebuilt (its got 200,000 miles or more on it).

If anyone has any links to the kits I will need it would be appreciated!

Traction Loc will probably wear out in 200,000 miles. It's a set of clutches that wear over time. You can get the whole kit to rebuild it at Summit for like $45 or something. It's not expensive.

Kurt