Rearend not centered?

dz187

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
I just finished putting on 10.5" wheels with 315 Nitto 555Rs out back. The driver's side fits under the fender, but the passenger side sticks out about 1/8th of an inch. I checked the upper control arms and they look straight, bushings are a little dry but good, torque boxes are fine. I have Maximum Motorsports extreme lower control arms under there as well.

Is there a way I can adjust the rear slightly over to the driver's side?

• Sponsors (?)

i have the same exact problem.i noticed the difference after i completed a 5 lug conversion..everyone told me that it was the control arms..but my fox had some damage on the rear tire..which could indicate my rear end being hit on the side..but im fixing to switch out my whole rear end housing this turkey-day weekend.

It is time to go find a shop that has a frame machine to straighten things out and align the frame. If the the lower control arms are adjustable length arms, shortening the side the sticks out and lengthing the other side may help center things up.

Changing the length of one lower arm wouldn't center the axle, it would change its angle, making the car dog-track. Some people change the lengths of the uppers, because that will draw the axle side to side, but it's also not optimal. It probably needs new bushings in the uppers.

Changing the length of one lower arm wouldn't center the axle, it would change its angle, making the car dog-track. Some people change the lengths of the uppers, because that will draw the axle side to side, but it's also not optimal. It probably needs new bushings in the uppers.

You are correct.

It would seem to be necessary to change both the upper and lower control arms to change the postion of the axle.

Even at that, the results may not be effective in changing the center of the axle to any great degree.

my pass is out just a little too but i thought it was from the axel i pulled out of a 98 stang with disc abs. there is a gear on the pass side. So i thought it was just that. It did cost more too but the look is nice.

i have the same problem but i got upper and lower control arms springs and a new 8.8 rear and converted to 5 lug disc. I thought thats the way it was suppost to sit. I checked both axels and they are the same langth. I know the 8.8 is centered right because it wont go in wrong tight fit. wont move side to side. The only thing i didnt change is the bushings in the rear but they liiked good. same tires 245/45/17 no offset. I hope someone can let us know what is up. sorry to post share.

A little update... I installed the upper control arms, but left the bushings on the axle end (they looked fine). This didn't help much, so I loosened all the control arm bolts and had someone lean on the car while I tightened them. The passenger side tire was probably sticking out 1/4" and I was able to move it over about 1/8th. Not perfect, but better than nothing.