Rearend on its way out???

86Five-0

May 6, 2003
New Jersey
My rear has always been howling since I bought the car, mainly when I have very slight pressure on the throttle cruising around town. Buy now since I have put the stock exhaust back on I'm hearing it quite a bit. What are signs of the rearend goin on its way out??? I got the stock 3.08's in there and shouldn't my car spin 1st easily if I just romp on it? I'm pretty sure the trak-lok still works cause when I was stuck in the snow in my driveway my dad said both wheels were spinnin, if that means anything. I was thinking about checkin the fluid level on the rear and refilling if necessary. I had my mechanic top it off over a year ago so who knows. I wish I had a job and money so I could get the 3.73's and a rebuild. :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

generally a ring and pinion wont just start making noise unless the fluid i low or the pinion bearings got loose all of a sudden. if its always hummed someone got the pinion spacing wrong during a rebuild

It's been doin it since I bought the car but I think it's louder. I'm not sure how much worse it's gotten because I had an offroad Hpipe and flowmasters on for a while and recently put the stock exhaust back on. Yes they're the stock gears, at least from my knowledge. I checked the sticker in the driver's side door code Z=3.08's and I did the spin test with the driveshaft and turned out to be correct. I'm not positive if it's been worked on though, since I bought the car with 119K on the clock so who knows if someone touched it. My mechanic friend had topped off the fluid once as well as the trans not too long after I bought the car in May 2002. I think I'm gonna check the fluid level sometime soon or when it's not in the teens outside(too freakin cold).