rearend swap

jlangholzj

Mustang Master
Oct 23, 2006
CLT
So, some general info questions here.

currently, stock 8", 28 spline, 3.00 OPEN, 68 coupe

I'm looking for a limited slip diffy and since i've done the AOD swap, some deeper gears are a must, I'm thinking something around 3.50's.

I've heard the explorer rear ends fit, but the pumpkin is of-set so you have to shorten one side to get it centered.

I've also heard that the ranger/fox has the same width as well but with a centered pumpkin.

my thought, what 8.8 can i get that will fit under the rear of a 68' ??? I'm also guessing that I'll need to re-weld all of my perches???

some of you fellas that have done the conversion, what did you put in, and how much did it cost roughly??? my other option is buying a rebuilt 8" center chunk that already has a traction lock and 3.50's for about $600-800, my dads CONVINCED that there's a cheaper alternative to swapping in a new rearend but i think by the time you rebuild everything and get it up to spec, its going to be just as much either way. I'm open to ANYONE telling me different and opinions are appreciated.

thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

So far (1,000 miles) I'm happy with my EBay 3.55 8" Limited Slip rebuilt 3rd member for $700. My motor is a warmed up 302 (cam, heads, tri-ys). I'm gentle with it though....

So far (1,000 miles) I'm happy with my EBay 3.55 8" Limited Slip rebuilt 3rd member for $700. My motor is a warmed up 302 (cam, heads, tri-ys). I'm gentle with it though....

I'm sorry If i wasn't clear in stating that either I'm going with a rebuilt 8" for my current carrier or trying to fit a 8.8" out of something in there...i dont have an 8.8 already, but I'm looking to see what FITS

I haven't done it myself, but I'm researching right now what the options are for my 68 as well. I am still searching and reading, but one thing (if it affects your decision) to consider is that with the Explorer rear you can get discs, 5-lugs, and gears similar to what you're looking for. I'm sure that others on here know A LOT more than me.

I haven't done it myself, but I'm researching right now what the options are for my 68 as well. I am still searching and reading, but one thing (if it affects your decision) to consider is that with the Explorer rear you can get discs, 5-lugs, and gears similar to what you're looking for. I'm sure that others on here know A LOT more than me.

thats what i thought too but from what i've read since the pumpkin is offset, doesn't it need to be chopped down some??

We got an 8.8 from a '96 Explorer.It had 3.73 gears,Traction Lock,disc brakes,and was the perfect width.We removed the stock spring perches from it and welded on new ones.Super easy swap.Just run some brake lines and get the driveshaft on.He used the Explorer's aluminum drive shaft after it was shortened about 3/4 of an inch and used adapter u-joints.We got the rear for $150.00.

We got an 8.8 from a '96 Explorer.It had 3.73 gears,Traction Lock,disc brakes,and was the perfect width.We removed the stock spring perches from it and welded on new ones.Super easy swap.Just run some brake lines and get the driveshaft on.He used the Explorer's aluminum drive shaft after it was shortened about 3/4 of an inch and used adapter u-joints.We got the rear for $150.00.

any issues with the offset pumpkin?? also what did you put it in?

So, some general info questions here.

currently, stock 8", 28 spline, 3.00 OPEN, 68 coupe

I'm looking for a limited slip diffy and since i've done the AOD swap, some deeper gears are a must, I'm thinking something around 3.50's.

I've heard the explorer rear ends fit, but the pumpkin is of-set so you have to shorten one side to get it centered.

I've also heard that the ranger/fox has the same width as well but with a centered pumpkin.

my thought, what 8.8 can i get that will fit under the rear of a 68' ??? I'm also guessing that I'll need to re-weld all of my perches???

some of you fellas that have done the conversion, what did you put in, and how much did it cost roughly??? my other option is buying a rebuilt 8" center chunk that already has a traction lock and 3.50's for about $600-800, my dads CONVINCED that there's a cheaper alternative to swapping in a new rearend but i think by the time you rebuild everything and get it up to spec, its going to be just as much either way. I'm open to ANYONE telling me different and opinions are appreciated.

thanks!

The Ranger 8.8 is offset same as the Explorer rear. No point in even thinking about it. The Explorer 8.8 is the way to go. Many have better gearing, 31 spline axles (all do, the Stang is 28 spline) many have traction loc. And even after narrowing one side, you'll be spending $600-$800. Just me, but I'd do both sides (the left no more than's necessary, the right enough to move the pinion closer to the center)and replace the bearing housings to 9" style to get rid of the C clip axle retainers. I did one for my 89 Ranger a few years ago. I think I spent about $800 including the new Strange axles.

The offset wasn't that bad at all.There has been no work to the differential itself other than welding the spring perches on and moving the shock mount over a little...very little.The car runs like a dream with no issues at all from the driveline or vibration.The engine is my old 5.0 from my '88 Thunderbird that has a custom cam,headers,4bbl carb,and T-5 tranny.We used the rear driveshaft flange from the Explorer on the explorer driveshaft,and the front yake from a Thunderbird/Cougar/Mustang with an AOD.Perfect fit.The front u-joint is made to adapt that yoke and the larger Explorer driveshaft.I had the same thing done to my aluminum driveshaft.It came from a Crown Vic and I had it shortened and balanced to fit my Thunderbird. He's running 17x9 chrome GT500 wheels from American Racing (made for SN-95 cars) front and rear with 245 45 17 tires.

The offset wasn't that bad at all.There has been no work to the differential itself other than welding the spring perches on and moving the shock mount over a little...very little.The car runs like a dream with no issues at all from the driveline or vibration.The engine is my old 5.0 from my '88 Thunderbird that has a custom cam,headers,4bbl carb,and T-5 tranny.We used the rear driveshaft flange from the Explorer on the explorer driveshaft,and the front yake from a Thunderbird/Cougar/Mustang with an AOD.Perfect fit.The front u-joint is made to adapt that yoke and the larger Explorer driveshaft.I had the same thing done to my aluminum driveshaft.It came from a Crown Vic and I had it shortened and balanced to fit my Thunderbird. He's running 17x9 chrome GT500 wheels from American Racing (made for SN-95 cars) front and rear with 245 45 17 tires.

So you did not shorten one side at all?

I'm doing a fox body 8.8 in mine right now. I'm upgrading my axles from the 4 lug 28 spline to 5 lug 31 spline. It has a trac loc and 3.07 (?) gears so I am going to re-gear it to 3.73 and keep the trac loc. Cutting off the coil stuff and welding on spring perches is super easy, and it is the right width without cutting down one of the tubes.

here is my 96 explorer rear...trak lok, 373 gears...for my 66

haven't put it in yet

explorer%20rear.jpg

I'm doing a fox body 8.8 in mine right now. I'm upgrading my axles from the 4 lug 28 spline to 5 lug 31 spline. It has a trac loc and 3.07 (?) gears so I am going to re-gear it to 3.73 and keep the trac loc. Cutting off the coil stuff and welding on spring perches is super easy, and it is the right width without cutting down one of the tubes.

let me know how it goes!!! I'm planning on doing this now, out of curiosity, how much did you get yours for?? granted I'll have to prolly pay for if i go directly with a 5 lug, but you never know

Cool. I think that would definitely be the easist swap. Unless the Explorer pumpkin isn't actually offset. I can't tell from the picture. If it is not offset and does not require shortening then that would be the best swap because of the gearing and the disk brakes.

Also I thought that I read somewhere on here that for the fox body swap to 5-lug axles you could use the shorter axles from the rangers or explorers, I could be wrong though.

the explorer rear is indeed offset, but I haven't heard of it causing issues for anyone, other than the ds hitting the tunnel on big bumps...which is fixed by clearancing the tunnel.

as for the fox rear, 2 pass side aerostar axles will swap right in, and you can upgrade to the 5 lug drum brakes too.

if you want disc with those axles though, you have to use the brackets from a company called northstar or something like that, and they're expensive, like $150ish.

for me, it was a waste of cash to get a fox rear, then pay to get it re geared, then have to swap in 5 lug axles and disc brakes...the explorer rear had it all already. If my ds hits the tunnel, then i'm gonna clearance the tunnel.