Rear's shot...

dsg02

Jul 6, 2003
I'm just full of questions lately. Here's today's... my rear's been shot for awhile and I've just been living with it. The Posi/Track Lok needs to be rebuilt and the the bearings must be on there last legs. While I'm at it I want to upgrade to 3.55s.

So should I just have the posi rebuilt, the bearings replaced and the new gears installed or should I be looking at replacing the posi?

I haven't raced the car yet, don't plan on doing it regularly and only run on street tires.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

If you are only going to race the car a few times a year, I would just get the posi rebuild kit from Ford. Buy a new pinion bearing and pinion seal, and buy the ring gear set which will come with the pinion shim, crush collar and pinion nut. I would buy a set of 3.73's instead of 3.55's. At 60MPH, there is only a 200 RPM difference between the two. However, you have your reasons for choosing a 3.55, so I'm not going to try and sway your decision. Just something to think about...

Joe

Thanks for the reply. So what I really need is:

the 3.55 ring and pinion gears
the posi rebuild kit

what exactly else. Does anyone have another kit with all the bearings etc or part #s

Thanks.