Rebates coming BACK?

911man

Oct 9, 2004
Ford will never learn. Last year at this time you could not find GT's anywhere and dealers were charging MSRP or more for the most part. Past couple months they had dealer cash incentive for any left-over 2005's. Now their are 2006's everywhere, especially Automatics. Rebates will be inevitable now that you can order 2007. I can tell you if a GT was available last year for X-plan I would be driving one right now. How many sales do you thing Ford loses from thes F'ing dealers. Look at the Mach 1, ended up with rebates because people bought elsewhere. Same with the Thunderbird a couple years back. Same goes for the GT-40 that are still sitting on lots and dealers say they get Market Adjustments, no one is buying them. Now the new GT's will go down the same road. All I can do is hope it happens to the GT500, I beleive it will, and I will get one when they go for X-plan.

Enough Said, sorry for my rant, I still love the Stang and hope to get one soon, but I am still upside down on my Audi A4.

• Sponsors (?)

I agree with your rant, The 05-06 Mustang frenzy seems to have fizzled.

Mustang sales have not really been all that good for the last 9 consecutive months. If you look at past Mustang sales, March, April, May and June 2005 were 4 blowout months. But since those 4 great months, sales have sagged considerably.

In March 06 sales were down 10% from March 05. While some of you may argue "Down 10% isn't bad", to me it's horrible. In March 05 there was less than 25 - 05 Mustangs sitting on dealer lots near me. Only 1 of them was a GT and the dealer wanted $7K over sticker for it. Dealers were getting sticker+ for V6s.

Now look at March 06. I checked inventory a couple weeks ago and there are 225 - 06 Mustangs sitting on dealer lots near me and 92 of them are GTs. There is now a reasonable numbers of manual trannie GTs in dealer inventory. Instead of asking for $5K markups, dealers are happy got get MSRP for a GT with some willing to discount or take X plan.

I've been waiting for Mustang frenzy to die out and the prices to come down. But why should I buy an 06, even at invoice, when I can order an 07 for X plan and get a model year newer car that will be worth more in the future. Plus with all the new options on the 07s, I agree that incentives (rebates, dealer cash, 0% financing, etc.) will be needed to clear out the 06 inventory.

I can wait, my 01 GT is a toy (3rd car) in perfect condition with only 27K miles on it.

Funny thing is when I go to look at them the dealers say 07's can not be ordered and still say, for 06's, it is a hot car and I can not go under MSRP. These dumb ass's try to insult my intelligence and then ask me to pay full sticker.

it all depends on the area. its still almost impossible to find 5 speed gt's anywhere near me. and dealers that do have them either just got them or want over sticker..

Definatly depends on where you are at. Dealers around here are still doing mark-ups on the gt's and you still have a hard time getting a 6 under sticker.

You can pretty find the exact car you are looking for because they have so many of them but won't deal on them.

They are also talking 25k mark-ups on the Shelby..

When will the stupidity stop?

V6WBlue05 said:
When will the stupidity stop?

The stupidity will stop when new Mustangs sitting are sitting on dealer lots so long that they've burned through their holdbacks paying the banks interest on their Mustang inventory.

Most of my local Ford dealers have many used 05 Mustangs, including manual tranny GTs sitting on their lots. All of the dealers have been asking $29K - $30K for these used GT coupes and $34K - $35K is what they have been asking for used 05 verts. Those prices are more than they cost new.:lol:

But the dealers are going to crack soon. I've seen the same used GTs being advertised in the local newspapers for 2 - 3 months. This week one of the local Ford dealers cracked. They dropped the asking price on one of their used 05 GTs to $25,995, down from the $28,995 it's been advertised at for the last 2 months. Hopefully it still won't sell even with the $3K price reduction.

I just did an inventory search of Sunset Ford in The St Louis area (63127) on the Ford website.

They have:

131 Mustang coupes
79 GT coupes
46 GT premium coupes
15 GT premium 5 spd manual coupes

25 convertibles
10 GT Verts
7 GT premium verts
3 GT premium 5 spd manual verts

I priced a GT coupe 5spd manual and they asked $1000 over invoice or about $1000 under MSRP.

They seem to have the largest inventory in the St Louis area.

1meanZ said:
I saw Ford put $500 on the '06 V6.

$500 won't be enough. The dealers around me are overloaded with V6 Mustangs. No way will they get rid of the 06s before the 07s start arriving and they have more 06s still on the way.

It will take $2K rebates or 0% APR to clear out all the 06s.

Consider that Ford has had to put a rebate on the Mustang V6 right as we enter peak Mustang selling season. Historically, March, April, May and June are the biggest sales months for Mustangs (by a considerable amount). My guess is the V6 rebate is in response to the 10% delince in Mustang sales in March 06 vs March 05.

Just got my 06 Wednesday of this week through a car broker. He said the lots were still marking them up by 5 or 6k above MSRP here in the Portland Metro area. He found the Stang I wanted down south and was able to talk them down to $1400 above MSRP. Also, 5 Spd. Man trannies are hard to find in the NW. Especially when you want a particular color.

Here in the Northeast we have the same situation. Until a month ago, there were almost no manual tranny Stangs on dealer lots. Some dealers are asking $5K markups for them. As of this week there are a reasonable # of manuals in stock, but just as you said finding the color & option combo you want can be a problem.

With Mustang sales sagging, it seems that a good part of the problem is Ford's allocation system which has created GT over stock in the Southern US and a shortage in the North.

911man said:
Ford will never learn. Last year at this time you could not find GT's anywhere and dealers were charging MSRP or more for the most part. Past couple months they had dealer cash incentive for any left-over 2005's. Now their are 2006's everywhere, especially Automatics. Rebates will be inevitable now that you can order 2007. I can tell you if a GT was available last year for X-plan I would be driving one right now. How many sales do you thing Ford loses from thes F'ing dealers. Look at the Mach 1, ended up with rebates because people bought elsewhere. Same with the Thunderbird a couple years back. Same goes for the GT-40 that are still sitting on lots and dealers say they get Market Adjustments, no one is buying them. Now the new GT's will go down the same road. All I can do is hope it happens to the GT500, I beleive it will, and I will get one when they go for X-plan.

Enough Said, sorry for my rant, I still love the Stang and hope to get one soon, but I am still upside down on my Audi A4.

Dude, calm down; why all the negativity? Not all Ford Dealers are "F'ing", and if you would just buy a Mustang instead of talking about it, you would feel much better. What does X-plan have to do with it? If you can't afford a GT, how can you buy a Shelby? That should get you fired up!

Here at my dealership we never even asked over sticker for the GT's. Now were blowing out the v6's at under invoice and holdback, just to flip them and move a unit. I work at a pretty small dealership and have sold 5 new v6 stangs in the last 3.5 weeks. All but one has been coupes. A hard top auto v6 without many extras can be had for 18995 advertised in the paper. So 19k buys you alot of car for the money. We could prob do a stick for 17995, who knows. But where are you going to find that much car for that much money.
And the used Gt's that there are out there, that i go to myself, are going for full nada retail or more if its the right color or options. I have a Blue hard top gt stick with grey leather, saftey package, base stereo, and traction control and i had to pay over 25k for it with 7k miles on it. So after i ship it back to me, put it through the shop, warrenty it, and try and make a little bit for my hassel, i have to ask 28k+ for it. Just because i can get a new GT cause im only alloted a few mustang GT's a year. And the other dealers wont swap them with us, so if i have a loyal customer for one, i pretty much have to turn them away. So the only way to even get one, is to pay to much for one.

Silver Talon said:
Here at my dealership we never even asked over sticker for the GT's. Now were blowing out the v6's at under invoice and holdback, just to flip them and move a unit.

And the used Gt's that there are out there, that i go to myself, are going for full nada retail or more if its the right color or options. I have a Blue hard top gt stick with grey leather, saftey package, base stereo, and traction control and i had to pay over 25k for it with 7k miles on it. So after i ship it back to me, put it through the shop, warrenty it, and try and make a little bit for my hassel, i have to ask 28k+ for it.

Glad to see that there are some decent dealers out there.

Where are you getting your used GTs from? From auction? Are they repros or leased turn ins or ??

The dealers around me (southern New Eng. ) are suddenly are loaded with used 2005 GTs including lots of manual trannies. They are asking insane amounts for them, $29K typical for GT coupes and $34K typical GT verts. I could buy a new 2006 GT for the same, if not less than they are asking for used 05s. doesn't make any sense to me. :shrug: