Rebel XT owners, come on in :)

Ozz

I think I have a problem here.
Founding Member
Jul 27, 2001
Canton, MI
I know a few of you here have one of these, and everything I see coming out of them looks amazing.

I've been considering one for a while, and think I might finally grab one soon.

What are your likes/dislikes about them? I could also use some lens suggestions as I don't know anything about separate lenses.

• Sponsors (?)

So you have both, or just the XT and recommend I get the XTi?

If you have or have used both, what's the main selling points of the xti over the xt?

We have the Rebel XT and it's fantastic. We had a Sony digital before the Rebel and the Sony doesn't even compare. The two big differences between the XT and the XTi are LCD size and megapixels. The XTi has a 2.5 inch LCD screen and is a 10.1 megapixel. The XTi is also about $200 more than the XT. If your going to buy one look online, you can get them much cheaper online than at say CircuitCity or BestBuy. We also have a 4gig Hitachi MicroDrive, and it holds well over 1000 pictures in high resolution. I've seen the MicroDrives online for as cheap as $130. It's well worth it. As far as lens go try to buy the camera as a kit, it will come with a 55mm lens, battery, and a neck strap. We also bought a 75-300mm lens for about $200, which lets you get really close up at the track. If you have anyother questions feel free to ask.

Online buying is a must :) I found a package that includes a f/3.5-5.6 auto focus lens, 512MB card, card reader, full size tripod, case, LCD protectors, maintenance kit, and a cap keeper...Oh, and the camera :p for around $450 brand new w/warranty.

I've seen bodies alone go for over $300, and comparable kits for much more. I think I found the best deal I can find, but if you know of anywhere I might want to look I'd love to hear it!

Those differences were what I thought, and I sure don't need the extra picture sizing. The larger LCD would be nice but not for the cost involved. I can do fine w/that.

That sounds like a really good deal, I don't think your going to do much better than that. Do you know how many Millimeters that lens is? Because I would highly recommend that 75-300 mm lens. Up a NE Dragway we can get close-up shots from the top of the bleachers and it looks like we're standing right next to the cars. We got some great pics last year at the FFW.

That is a pretty decent distance!

It's a 28-80mm so not much for far shooting, but I can always pick up a better one. Considering the package deal and I'd like to have everything else anyway, it's not too bad. Plus it never hurts to have a small lens around. I know sometimes i won't want to bring the big one out.

Edit:

Looking at their other packages, for $90 more I can get a 28-200mm lens (everything else the same), $120 more gets a 28-300mm, and from there on they give multiple lenses (small and large) and larger cards.

For another $120 get the bigger lens, you won't regret it. As far as the memory cards go, depending on how many pics you want to take the 512 that comes with the kit might not be big enough. You also might want to looking into a spare battery too. It sucks when the battery dies and you don't have a spare in the camera bag. That happened to us and we missed out on some good shots.

I have the XTi and so far, love the thing. I don't recommend purchasing memory cards that have moving parts in them... particularly if you like taking action shots with the burst mode. The flash cards I purchased are all solid state and I spent the extra $$ to ensure that memory I got was very quick.

For a first lens purchase, you would have one hell of a time beating the Tamron 28mm - 300mm (review here: http://www.shutterbug.com/equipmentreviews/lenses/1102sb_tamron/ ).

It's about the only lens you'll ever need for most shooting instances. No having to swap to this lens or that one while strolling through the Zoo or whatever. Point, zoom, and click.

About the only thing that I use the small kit lens for (the one that came with the camera) is shooting portraits etc. when that's all I'll be doing and don't need the additional weight of the Tamron.

I've also used the Tamron with a high quality lens doubler when I needed to reach waaaaaaaaaaay out and touch something.

It's not the end all in lenses. Of course better ones can be had for more money but it'll be a LOT more money and they won't include the versatility of 28mms all the way out to 300mm either.

Get yourself a battery grip too. These high falootin electronic toys take juice and battery swapping sucks when you're on the road.