Rebiuld

ry94stang50

Jun 21, 2013
Brick, NJ
So I called my engine builder to get a quote and he wants 2 grand to do the job and it comes with a 2 yr waranty....but I'm thinking of ditching the waranty and having him just do the short block for whatever price it is I know its alot cheaper...that way I can affors a decent top end kit. I need more power out of this car! Thoughts???

• Sponsors (?)

Good idea if you will be installing topend yourself. Do you have something else to drive while she's apart? Are you going to have him rebuild bottom end and have him put the old topend back on? Or are you going to wait til you have the new topend parts before the rebuild, I guess that makes more sense. That's what I should have done, have em rebuild bottom and purchased a top to go w it

I'm prob going to wait and get the top end first...he said he will rebuild it all and install the parts I give him for 2 grand also and as long as he builds the engine completly he can warranty it....now I just need some damn money....and yeah this is my main car but I do have my new sonota to get me around...

So in total its gonna be a grand total of 5500 to rebuild with the trick flow top end kit...idk if there are other top end kits with the same power gains for cheaper....but I like the name and the way the trickflow kit look lol

He said hell do the block for 700 so I might go that route and save a couple grand and install the top end myself but that could be a lot harder for me....because the two grand I get everthing done by him the pulling of the engine the rebuild reinstallation and tune....he also has a dyno and said he would throw in a dyno tune if I have him do everyrhing...

Most will say do the h c i but I believe I'm gonna do a supercharger since I had the rebuild done with stock heads and I don't really want to have the motor torn down again. As is I have stock heads w better springs, comp cam, and ported stock lower intake.

Yeah idk what I'm gonna do they both would cost about the same and give me the same performance. ..I gu ess time will tell lolim leaning towards hci swap but I really want that whine from a supercharger. :poo: maybe both! Haha:burnout:

Do your homework. Figure out what HCI it is that you want to go with.

Once you've settled on one, give the vendor a call and ask them what rotating assembly will work best for you (pistons, rods, crank, etc.). Settle on and purchase the rotating assembly that you want and take it to your builder along with a set of gaskets, seals, and freeze plugs.

Now the only thing you're paying the builder for is labor. So long as he does his job correctly, you'll have a complete combo with matching parts that all work well together. The right pistons, to match the valve/head/cam combo that you will be using. No muss no fuss.

You might even save some dough.

I'd be leery about just slapping an HCI or even a blower with some budget rebuild from Bob's garage. At least if you pick the parts, you know what will be in the thing.

Do your homework. Figure out what HCI it is that you want to go with.

Once you've settled on one, give the vendor a call and ask them what rotating assembly will work best for you (pistons, rods, crank, etc.). Settle on and purchase the rotating assembly that you want and take it to your builder along with a set of gaskets, seals, and freeze plugs.

Now the only thing you're paying the builder for is labor. So long as he does his job correctly, you'll have a complete combo with matching parts that all work well together. The right pistons, to match the valve/head/cam combo that you will be using. No muss no fuss.

You might even save some dough.

I'd be leery about just slapping an HCI or even a blower with some budget rebuild from Bob's garage. At least if you pick the parts, you know what will be in the thing.

The builder is a friend of a friend who owns his own speed shop they have a couple really good guys working there and they specialize in performance. And he is a 302 "master" from what imntold. Only reason its that cheap is its a favor for my buddy. Either way its gonna be better then factory lol..he offers a decent warrenty too....it seems legit to me...he's built 6 engines for my buddy and he's had not a single problem with any of them. I'm leaning towards the trickflow kit.....should I get forged pistons?

Moreover, decide if you're ever going with a blower or turbo. If so, go forged. If not, go hypereutectic. They seal better, give better compression, and are cheaper.

Reactions: 1 user