rebuild or buy new

• Sponsors (?)

Depends what you want? What are your goals for the car? What kind of power are you looking for? What parts if any do you want to reuse from your current set-up? Budget?

i say no. and heres why:

$3600 for.....

-9.0:1 compression....theres an issue.

-an E cam, youve gotta be kidding me

-the gt40 x heads arent bad, but theres far better stuff out there that you could buy with the money you save by freshening what youve got.

-a POS 50oz crank, youve already got one so no need to pay for another one.

-stock rods, youve already got some and if you were going to rebuild youd actually use a decent rod bolt.

-POS stock balancer, SFI balancers are getting cheap. put one on the rebuild.

-it doesnt say what rockers are on it, im assuming you get stock pedestal mount units. junk.

all in all its a bunch of old **** ford had laying around. dont get me wrong, we have gone high 11s with these heads, with an F cam in a well setup car. but with whats out there today theres really no reason to spend almost 4K on one of these turds, IMO.

I personally like this Ford Racing crate motor M-6007-X302, 340HP for $3499.

Ford Racing M-6007-X302 Ford Racing 306 Engine with ''X'' Aluminum Heads

306cid
9.0:1 compression ratio (nominal)
Forged Mahle Pistons 4.030"
Aluminum Ford Racing "X" cylinder heads with 1.94" intake valves and 1.54" exhaust valves
50in/oz imbalance rotating assembly
Production forged steel connecting rods
Seasoned block and precision ground crankshaft
New production 4-bolt crankshaft damper
Ford Racing polished aluminum valve covers
Hydraulic roller camshaft "E303" with .498" lift intake and exhaust, duration at .050" is 220 degrees intake and exhaust
Double roller timing chain set
Fox-Body dual sump oil pan
New standard volume oil pump

should i rebuild my 87 gt engine or should i just buy the m6007x302 from mustang unlimited.

Really need more info as far as ur goals and ur budget. If u never plan on going above 400rwhp then go ahead with the crate engine. Drive it as is or put on a power adder with a tune and have 350-400 easy/reliable rwhp. But, if you think u might ever want more than that, save ur money until you can afford a Dart block based engine. The last thing u want to do is spend a few thousand on a bunch of brand new parts only to have the block crap out on u.

It's a pretty good all around crate engine.
In the future you can still add a vortech and get yourself 450 reliable hp.

If you aren't going to go for a race block, i'd say the x crate engine is a good choice.

Rebuild labor alone for a shortblock is $1200 or so here in nj.
Bolts, gaskets, water pump and the little stuff add up on top of that.
Then add the heads/cam/timing chain, rockers, lifters and other parts.

So $3400 suddenly isn't such a bad deal.
The 12,000 mile warranty doesn't hurt either.

It's not a max power engine, but it gives you another 100 horses and your car should run factory fresh.

And don't let anyone talk you into putting a $2000 dollar rotating assembly in a stock block. No point, the block breaks before the internals anyway.

hell, if anything pick up a shortblock from LRS and build your own top end if youre trying to avoid a rebuild.

If you've got the cash, get the forged piston version, put your own top end together and you'll have a much better combo for around the same money. If its a warranty you're after, thats a whole different story.