Rebuild

91AODstang

May 5, 2012
any guys that have rebuilt a motor or worked on cars (did you learn by reading books manuel etc. selft taught) or did yall go to school/college for it?

m 20 yrs old i want to start college next fall but i dont know if i want to goto automotive technology ( wich is what i would love to work on cars)and take a 30k gamble or go to airplane mechanics and teach myself to work on cars.........some schools are cheaper but are the costly ones any better? any1 plz comment opinions anything thnx!!

• Sponsors (?)

Go with the air plane one. I don't know where you live, but around me, automotive classes are a waste of money. Around here, all the shops and dealerships want experience more than schooling. Probably because our local colleges Auto class is a joke :D

Depends on what your passion is. Cars? Planes? Do you want a hands on blue or white collar job? Working on cars for a hobby is much different than turning wrenches for a living. I went to Lincoln Tech 30+ years ago for 2 years and then went to Ford training school and got ASE in a few areas. I loved working on cars but hated working for someone else. Mostly dealers who try and screw people over at every turn. Plus, I worked up north and got tired of busting my knuckles in 10 degree weather for $15 an hour as an "A" line mechanic. Did that for about 5 years before going to college. For me it was about choices and opportunities that a college degree could offer.

College is not for everyone, and it certainly won't guarantee you a job these days. It will never hurt having a skill to fall back on. Again, follow what you are really motivated to do and do it. You are young and don't worry if you decide in a few years to change careers.