Rebuilding my 4R70W...Any advice?

mtmc

May 11, 2011
VA
Ok guys my '96 Mustang has a slippy 4R70W that needs to be rebuilt. I got another good 4R70W from a guy for free but it's from a '93 Mark VIII and I haven't received confirmation yet that it will even work in my car. I have decided to take out my tranny that I know is compatible and rebuild it with a master overhaul kit and install some other things while I have it out. I am mechanically inclined and have been working on cars most of my life but I've never been into an automatic transmission. I thought I saw a 4R70W rebuilding manual online the other day but now I can't find it. I have a haynes repair manual but I haven't thumbed through it yet and I doubt it has anything about rebuilding the tranny anyway.

Any advice with this project?

• Sponsors (?)

mtmc:

Go to TCCoA.com and head to their Tech Articles/Transmissions. Read "Transmissions 101" by Jerry Wroblewski, former Ford Transmission Engineer. This set of excellent articles will tell you most of what you need to know.

Get the Automatic Transmission Service Group (ATSG) book about the 4R70W. It will show you how to take it apart and put it togother.

The '93 is NOT a 4R70W so I would not recommend going to an older model transmission.

If you want it done professionally, please check out BC Automotive (bc-automotive.com) for rebuilding services. Darrin does top-notch work and for a very reasonable price.

The mob at TCCoA.com have a Drivetrain sub-forum that has quite a few good rebuild threads that you may want to review before tackling the job.

HTH,

Chris