Recalibrating Speedo After Gears.

mike2858

Founding Member
Jul 10, 2002
West Long Branch Jersey.
what is the cheapest way to recalibrate a speedo after the gear install. i know i can get a programmer for like 300 bucks, but i really dont want to adjust my timing or anything else- just adjust the speedo and the shift points if need be so i dont hit the rev limiter. what if i got my chip reflashed, how much does that cost.

PS- this is for an auto.

• Sponsors (?)

You can get the Ford Racing Speed Cal from www.gefracing.com for $88.

This is not going to change shift point, but it will correct the speedo so you shift at the same time you do now.

If you were going to get a chip reflash... you have to actually buy the chip. You cant just reflash the ECU.

The cheapest way to correct gearing is with a speedcal.

(I am going to get a non-catted mid pipe and not get a speed cal, which will save me $200. Then all I need is a tuner, which is $300. In the end, I pay $100 more for a performance tune that I can tweak)

if you are sticking with bolt ons , get the diablo , you can adjust just what you want , or send your ecm to T&J and tell him what mods you have and what performance wise , gear wise and shift point wise you are looking for and I am sure he can reflash your ecm and get your car running great

right now i have no mods aside from a cat-back and a K&N filter. so i dont think a tune would be able to net me much hp-if any. i would be getting 3.73 gears *hides behind wall* do you think i will hit the rev limiter because that would be the only reason id want to adjust my shift points. what is my ECM? ill have to email TJ to see how much it would cost me.

Ok, question, am I correct in saying that no matter what mustang, no matter what transmission, you have to fix the speedo after getting new gears? I have a 98 auto and I am thinkin about getting gears, and I have been curious as to how its gonna affect my speedo.

MyEarsHurt said:
Ok, question, am I correct in saying that no matter what mustang, no matter what transmission, you have to fix the speedo after getting new gears? I have a 98 auto and I am thinkin about getting gears, and I have been curious as to how its gonna affect my speedo.

I Believe 98 can used a new toothed gear (plastic) for about $15 bucks. I used one for my 96GT w/3.73 on my 5spd. Not 100% accurate but damn close.

yes you are correct if you change your gears you have to change your speedo otherwise you will be traveling a different speed then indicated by your speedo and you will be putting more/or less (depending on which way you change your gears) miles then you really are. with the auto i also heard that being that the rpms rise faster that the car wont shift fast enough causing you to hit your rev limiter.

Since your car is an auto I would definitly atleast get a programmer. I have a 99 auto and I put 4.30s in it. I found a programmer on ebay for a good price. It not only fixes the speedo but it lets you adjust you shift points and shift firmness, I got a huge performane boost by tweaking the shifting.Before I could barely get a scratch shifting into second manually, now i just hammer it in drive it gets nice and sideways when it hits second and on a good night I can scratch third. The programmer is a real good investment for an auto.

BCB00GT said:
I Believe 98 can used a new toothed gear (plastic) for about $15 bucks. I used one for my 96GT w/3.73 on my 5spd. Not 100% accurate but damn close.

So thats all I need, they are like 15 bucks from steeda, and that will correct the difference? If so, I am buying gears this month...I cant afford a hypertech. Also, on a side note, is it good to buy the rebuild kit (comes with shims, clutch packs and friction modifier) when you get new gears? My stang has 55000 miles on it.

MyEarsHurt said:
So thats all I need, they are like 15 bucks from steeda, and that will correct the difference? If so, I am buying gears this month...I cant afford a hypertech. Also, on a side note, is it good to buy the rebuild kit (comes with shims, clutch packs and friction modifier) when you get new gears? My stang has 55000 miles on it.

With 55K I would go ahead and get the re-build kit. It doen't cost much and since you will already have the rear end apart it would pay to go ahead and install new clutch packs.

Okay, I will get the rebuild kit, cause its not that much money anyway. But is it okay for me to just get the new toothed gear from steeda, that will correct any problems I would have with the speedo or the odometer?

I believe the toothed gear you need is the 23 tooth gear. Been a while since I did my 96GT (5+ years). I am suprised someone doesn't have an extra one (new) to sell you cheap. Check your local Ford dealer also. What gears are you going with?