Received cat-back and x-pipe today, need advice

90_Red_LX

Sep 29, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Well I got my Mac Cat-back and VRS x-pipe today. Looks good from what I can tell, except Fedex busted my damn Mac box. :mad: I hope I didn't lose any bolts from that. :( Anyway, I am going to put it on tomorrow or Saturday probably (maybe not Saturday, hayfield day. :( ) I was wondering if I needed anything. Do I need a passenger side header gasket? I believe I read somewhere about them. How long should this take exactly? Is there any problems I will probably run into I should be aware of? I gotta feeling header bolts are going to be a bit rusty, whats the best way to get them off? I assume WD-40, or a torch? I am trying to avoid rounding them off, can't afford going to a muffler shop. :( From the looks of it I will also need a hacksaw to cut the stock tailpipes out. There will be two people working on this project, me and my dad, just wondering if anyone has any advice. Thanks! :D

• Sponsors (?)

I mean the bolts that hold the x-pipe to the header. Forgot what those were called. My mistake. :D Couldn't afford headers...yet. But there going to be after gears. :)

89sleeper-Did your VRS fit good? It looks like a quality piece.

Oh ya forgot to ask, what do I do with the AIR tube? I have no clue. Thanks.

From what I can tell, my x-pipe is a excellent piece. If anyone wants pics I can take some tommorow.

But anyway, is there any problems I might run into with install? Like o2's being jammed, or is that unlikely? Also, what about that air tube? Help guys going to be my first install. :)

guys does the vrs x-pipe work with bbk long tubes? thats what i'm assuming by the words at the top of the page......if so............thats my x-pipe right there. :nice: i think i'll get some lt's and that x-pipe as some of my first mods. after gears and trac loc rebuild.

i wanna see some pics man, i have a question if u have an offroad and no cats what happens if u get caught? do u pay a fine, can u go to jail?

Pay a fine, idt you go to jail. Not exactly sure on the fine, and if you get busted, if you like your mechanic, the stock pipe was on when he inspected it. As long as you tell a cop you run a o/r pipe you should be ok. :)

Anyone care to answer some of my questions please? :) Especially with the AIR tube, no clue what to do with it.

good luck man, i installed a cat-back (flowmaster) in my front yard with jack and jackstands and it wasnt very easy. I didnt have enough ground clearance with the car lifted to get the tailpipes to slide over the axle. But i THINK mac makes their pipes connect over the axle or something and that would be much eeasier i believe. btw do you plan on going with lts or shortys? i'm guessing shortys since you dont want to have to replace the x-pipe later on. if you can get us a sound clip please do!

mr_tinkertrain said:
guys does the vrs x-pipe work with bbk long tubes? thats what i'm assuming by the words at the top of the page......if so............thats my x-pipe right there. :nice: i think i'll get some lt's and that x-pipe as some of my first mods. after gears and trac loc rebuild.
The only drawback to BBK's is the small ball joint style collectors. A friend of mine cut off his collectors on his BBK's and put on a race style (3 Bolt)collector and picked up 15 RWHP on his 331 N/A Combo. By the way the stock BBK long tubes made the same power as his FRPP 1 5/8 shorties with an x-pipe. It only picked up after he put on the new collector.

90_Red_LX said:
Pay a fine, idt you go to jail. Not exactly sure on the fine, and if you get busted, if you like your mechanic, the stock pipe was on when he inspected it. As long as you tell a cop you run a o/r pipe you should be ok. :)

89sleeper told me to like take the front of a cat or something and tack it on, if they look under do u think it could fool them? like if they asked me if i had cats an di said yes and he checked do u think he would believe it??? id really like to go offroad

90_Red_LX said:
Anyone care to answer some of my questions please? :) Especially with the AIR tube, no clue what to do with it.
You may have to cut off the air tube with a hack saw if it doesn't come off easy. Then you can unhook all the smog pump hoses and such and remove them with. You can unscrew the big valve going to the thermactor pipe on the back of your heads and cap it off with a 3/4 inch brass block off. (You can get them at Home Depot. They are made for garden hoses.)
Then you can just run a short belt to bypass the smog pump.

Take the heat shields off the cats and weld them on. At a glance it will look just like cats.

Thanks for forwarning mr_tinkertrain. Since we won't be getting a lift for a few months this will be on jackstands. But yes the Mac tips bolt on instead of being welded so that should help. Going to be a bit of fighting it though I assume. And I will be using shorty headers, not longtubes. They would be nice, but idt I'll have any need for them for the next few years. :) I really would like to know waht to do with the AIR tube though. Do I just plug it? Should I be expecting to use a lot of wd-40?

I will probably get a sound clip or something whne I get done with it. Can you just take the audio off of a video clip in a editor? If not I guess I get to post a video. :) Will take pics of pipe and cat-back tommorow.