Recent Purchases

Hey Guys - I am new to this place.... Probably because I just bought a mustang this past weekend!

Anyhoo - I bought the following upgrades for my 2006 GT on ebay.

Pro 5.0 Super Shifter
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300128202536&rd=1

Flowmaster American Thunder Axle Back Exhaust
http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300111797791&rd=1

My buddy who is a ricer recommended that I get the Bassani axle-back setup... Well, after pricing out that system... It was pretty damn expensive.. After looking around, I found the A/T exhaust system... I liked the sound and went ahead with buying them... I told him I got them and he said I made a big mistake...

Has anyone out there bought the axle-back A/T and been unhappy? I am not looking to go crazy with upgrades... Will I be happy with the sound after I install these?

Any input is helpful....

Thanks guys!
Nick

• Sponsors (?)

welcome to :SNSign:

i have no regrets with my flowmaster A/Ts. add an off road H pipe with that and the sound is amazing. sound is a personal thing. what sounds good to one person may not sound good to the next. dont add the O/R H if you live on an emissions strict area, as it removes the cats.

+1
A/T Flowmasters here as well and there is an improvement in sound over the factory mufflers you should not be disappointed at all.
Another + on the off road H pipe... if you want it louder after the A/T's are on this will definitely do it for you.

Enjoy and welcome aboard!

mufflers really come in two flavors.

Chambered = mellower sound + backpressure
Stinger / Canister = sharper sound - backpressure

the chambered really are the ones that differ the most amongst one another because chamber design is different so it comes down to preference bottom line.

Welcome, glad to have you. Like bigcat and the boys have said, it should sound fine. All axle backs are good, it's more of a sound perference, it's not like you will find 20 hp difference between axle backs or anything, but there are sound differences. You may get some flack over your shifter choice, a lot of us have the hurst because we like the retro theme, but the MGW

"rats", posted before I was finished. Like I was saying, MGW seems to be the shifter of choice as far as the best shifting aftermarket unit. Some may argue as there loyal to hurst, me for one. However it can't be dismissed how many guy's rant and rave on how great the MGW is. I don't know if there's anything wrong with the pro 5.0 as I haven't heared it mentioned much here since I've been a member. It's mostly hurst -vs- MGW. Anyhow, welcome and there's alot to learn here from basic maintence to hardcore mods. You will find that mustangs are more than just a car, there a way of life, sorta like a harley ha ha.

Cool - Thanks everyone!

Anyone use the Pro-5.0 shifter? I heard some great things about it.

I am not really so much into speed and performance... I am upgrading my exhaust for sound and just plan on upgrading a few things without going crazy. I am happy with the stock speed..... for now ;)

I want to upgrade to the billet grill upper/lower on my car while retaining the fog lights... I heard the grills that go over your existing grill dont look so good.

Are there any billet grills that any of you can recommend? I am looking for something of quality... and preferably one where I can retain my pony emblem :)

Thanks!!
Nick

Also - on a 2006 GT - how difficult is it to install a aftermarket shifter? I havent done anything like it before and have a friend who has who will be assisting me.

Anyone know of any videos that will give me an idea as to how to install it? My buddy said I may have to go under the car to install the new one... Is this true?

I know the pro 5.0 use to be real popular with the fox body crowd, it just seems we perfer the MGW or hurst for the S-197. As for myself, I've just allways used hurst from back in the 70's when I first started driving and playing with ford muscle cars. Beings my 07 is so retro looking, it has to have a hurst with the hurst emblem on the truck lid. As far as modding, it's sorta like a diease, once you start, you can't stop.

I installed my Flowmaster American Thunder and my Pro-5.0 short throw shifter!

First time doing either one of the two! The exhaust was easy - but the clamps that come with the A/T werent that good... Took me a while to get the exhaust clamped down to the mufflers.. I might go out and get more efficient clamps.

The shifter was easy - but a pain. I cut the hell out of my hands! Other than that - there wasn't really much to the whole shifter install.... The only issue I know of is that my shift knob doesnt fit the threads of my shifter. I called up Pro-5.0 and they are sending out the correct thread.

I did notice that 5th gear is a little more difficult to get into than the past with this new pro 5.0 shifter... Reverse is also more difficult.

I called up the manufacturer and they said that this was normal. They said it will break in over time.

Does anyone else have experience with the Pro 5.0 shifters? I am curious to see if anyone encountered this as well...

I actually figured out what the issue is. I never removed that metal shim from the stock shifter and installed it on the pro 5.0.

I also put a little grease on the pro 5.0 and now it shifts perfectly fine into 5th and reverse.

Only complaint is that it feels notchy... After some research - it seems all aftermarket racing shifters are notchy... My buddy had the mgw in his 04 cobra and he said his was real notchy.

Since it shifts great into 5th and reverse now - I have no issues with this shifter :) I wouldnt mind feeling an mgw though.

OK - So I like the sound of my Flowmaster American thunders.... BUT - I want to have it a little more louder.

What else can I do to my exhaust system to get it louder without taking the mufflers or cat's out? I am trying to have this as legal as possible.

I hear an X pipe might do the trick?

I installed my Flowmaster American Thunder and my Pro-5.0 short throw shifter!

First time doing either one of the two! The exhaust was easy - but the clamps that come with the A/T werent that good... Took me a while to get the exhaust clamped down to the mufflers.. I might go out and get more efficient clamps.

I had the same experience with mine. The clamps that came with the A/T mufflers wouldn't clamp down tight enough. I went to the local hardware store and spent maybe $5 for a pair of really good ones and it fixed the problem.