Redoing interior (progress thread)

t_chelle16

Keeper of the closet key
Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Knob Noster, Mo.
Since I have lots of time off from work this week & next week, I figured I'd work on redoing the interior. I'm going to replace all the dash panels, carpet, get all the wiring in the console hooked up (not originally a console car), fix a few minor rust holes in the floor & POR15 it, and start repainting the interior (currently 2-tone turquoise and will eventually be black & grey). I'm not going to do the headliner yet because I'm not ready to pull out the front & rear glass, and I'm not doing the seats yet because the covers are going to be custom made by me & my mom (if some of you may recall, I'd started some covers for my previous mustang - I'm going to reuse the center cloth part, but we have some better black vinyl so we're going to redo that part).

This afternoon, I got the whole interior pretty much gutted:

Apparently my temporary fiberglass patch on the cowl has started to fail (either that or my window seals are pretty much shot - quite possible) because the carpet & underlayment here was just soaked. But luckily, it's just surface rust - bad surface rust, but no holes and the metal doesn't seem horribly thin.

Under the back seat (arrows point to all the rust holes). I'm just going to cut out the bad part and use that as a template to cut a new piece of sheet metal to weld in there. On the plus side, the frame rail under this part looks really good.

Front passenger seat floor. It's actually more of a crack with a hole at the bottom. I think it was actually made worse by the car being up on jack stands so long while I was replacing the engine. But again, I'm just going to cut out the bad stuff and weld in a new patch panel.

This is a welcome site, though. Nice, solid, pretty looking rear floor pans. :banana:

And on a little side note, I'm not ready to tackle this just yet, but there's a small chance I may be able to get the car repainted in the spring. Before I do that, I'll have to fix this:

I know the best way to fix rust is to cut out all the old stuff and replace the sheet metal, but I've also read that when you're dealing with the sheet metal around the windows, if you don't get it perfect, the window/gasket may never seal properly again (plus, they don't make patch panels for this).

Would it be an absolutely horrible idea to sand the area down, POR15 it so the rust doesn't spread, then fill the holes with some fiberglass resin?

-Chelle

• Sponsors (?)

Looks like a great start for your interior rework! :nice:

As for those little rust holes, if this is a short term fix I would do as you described, sand, POR it, but I would put some clear exterior silicone caulk on it. I've heard of people putting a thin coat of fiberglass resin on holes like that, but it cracked and leaked due to vibration. But then again, if this is a short term fix, then the resin will probably hold up long enough.

Another thing I would suggest is to stick your head in the trunk ant check out the condition of the support under that rust (between the package tray and the trunk opening). That looks similar to the rust damage I had and the support was shot. As a side note, the only aftermarket replacement I found was attached to a rear seat support for 65-66 (it fit the 68 just fine) wasn't too bad as I needed a new package tray also.

From what I've seen of the package tray support (installing a new package tray, speakers, etc), it looks okay, but I'll give it a closer inspection today.

As for those little rust holes, if this is a short term fix I would do as you described, sand, POR it, but I would put some clear exterior silicone caulk on it.
Does that work okay to paint over?

-Chelle

do not, for any reason other than an emergency, use silicone anywhere you wish to paint in the future... go to home depot, and pick up a tube of urethane caulk. it only comes in several colors, but for a temporary fix, you will be ok, and you dont have to worry about PRS (paint rejection syndrome)

do not, for any reason other than an emergency, use silicone anywhere you wish to paint in the future... go to home depot, and pick up a tube of urethane caulk. it only comes in several colors, but for a temporary fix, you will be ok, and you dont have to worry about PRS (paint rejection syndrome)

Yikes, chromedog is correct - a mental lapse on my part.:notnice: Silicone is bad for future painting...

For a permanent fix, if the surrounding metal is good, hopefully you can spot weld the holes closed. Otherwise you'll have to patch it or replace the panel.

Okay, I guess, when I get around to doing it, I'll try welding the holes close. My main fear with doing that is just making the holes bigger, but if the metal there is so thin that that happens, it's bad enough that it should all be replaced anyway. Oh, and I looked at the package tray support and it doesn't look too bad. Mainly some rust in the very corners.

As for the floor in front of the driver & passenger seats, I started wire wheeling and discovered that the metal there is extremely thin (opened up at least a dozen holes on the driver's side and that spot on the passenger side got about twice as wide. So it looks like I'm going to be ordering some patch panels. On the plus side, I've done a full-length pan replacement before so this should be a lot easier than that.

-Chelle

EDIT:

your best bet for the rear window area might be to remove the glass, take the wire wheel to it, just to find out how far the rust has spread, and have someone with a sheetmetal brake fab up some patch panels. this is providing the whole panel isnt soft. if it isnt too bad, get yourself a short (18 inches)piece of 3/4" copper tubing, flatten the last 2" or so, and use the flat portion as a backer, behind the hole you are trying to weld shut. if the holes extend into the window bed (they will) you can make up some filler pieces the same contour as the bends, and use them as fillers from behind ( you may have to slide them in through the holes, in which case it is a good idea to tackweld a piece of coat hanger onto the patch to use as a handle of sorts.)
good luck!

Thanks for the tip. I don't plan on tackling that part until the spring at the earliest but very possibly later. I will keep all that in mind, though.

One more quick question. Has anyone ever tried welding up some cowl rust from under the dash? I haven't stuck my head up there to check, but I'm willing to bet that's where the water (or at least most of it) is leaking in. There's pics of the rust & the temporary fiberglass patch that I did last year here:
http://chelle.mine.nu/murphy/rust.html

If I'm going to replace the floor pan, I really need to get that leak fixed, but I don't want to disassemble the front of the car (the driveway is currently occupied so I'm doing all this work parked on the side of the street).

-Chelle

The repair has been there for almost 2 years now and holding up great - keeping in mind that the car (still unfinished) spends most of its life in my garage :nonono: The window channel area is a bit more forgiving (with respect to achieving the perfectly smooth finish) than your problem area. Thus, I would skip the fiberglass cloth application, unless you can access the back side of the metal in that area to clean - Por15 - Fiberglass cloth - Por15 it. Note: If you're going to use fiberglass cloth, buy it from Por15, as theirs is very different (stiffer and easier to work with) than the stuff you buy at the autoparts store.

The epoxy putty is real nice to work with. It has a long working time - easy to apply and sands very nicely after it hardens.

Caution regarding the Tiecoat primer: If you use the tiecoat primer, be sure to let it sit for a good week before spraying anything over it. I know they also have a new primer which is available in a rattle can, which may be preferable (then applying standard sandable primer over that), but I haven't played much with that yet.

Note: As much as possible, limit the exterior Por15 application to the problem area as Por15 does not feather nicely when sanded.

Got the floor from the seat risers back stripped (I put some of that orange stripper on yesterday & let it set over night then used a wire wheel and everything came off fairly easily).

I also got the rusty spot under the back seat cut out.

And the new patch pretty much made (the far left side has some odd bends so I'm going to hammer it into shape as I weld).

I have to work tomorrow afternoon, but hopefully, I'll have time in the morning to get that all welded up. Then Saturday & Sunday I can get it all POR-15'd and my front floor pans should come in on either Saturday or Monday so I can get that done next week.

-Chelle

Note: As much as possible, limit the exterior Por15 application to the problem area as Por15 does not feather nicely when sanded.

That whole back panel behind the rear window has pretty well-defined edges (window in front, trunk lid in back & about an inch on either side between the corners of the trunk lid and where the C-pillar comes down) so I bet instead of trying to feather it around all those spots I could just POR15 that whole panel so the only places I'd really have to feather it is that inch on either side, and there's a ridge there so that would help hide it (you can see it pretty well in that 2nd window rust pic I posted up there).

-Chelle

That whole back panel behind the rear window has pretty well-defined edges (window in front, trunk lid in back & about an inch on either side between the corners of the trunk lid and where the C-pillar comes down) so I bet instead of trying to feather it around all those spots I could just POR15 that whole panel so the only places I'd really have to feather it is that inch on either side, and there's a ridge there so that would help hide it (you can see it pretty well in that 2nd window rust pic I posted up there).

-Chelle

there is a POR-15 kit made for repairing rusted out areas like this, it's basically some fiberglass cloth and a thicker POR type resin not regular fiberglass resin. you might look into that.

there is a POR-15 kit made for repairing rusted out areas like this, it's basically some fiberglass cloth and a thicker POR type resin not regular fiberglass resin. you might look into that.
The thicker Por15 Resin is very difficult to work with - both in application and it cures hard as a rock. If you attempt this route, use it only on interior (non-cosmetic) areas.

If you want to try something really cool on your floors, check out my recent mower deck restoration here: Por15 with hardnose black - mower deck restoration. If you don't mind waiting the 4 days it takes the Hardnose paint to cure, the results are really quite impressive when compared to the brush strokes left by their chassis coat paint.

When I get around to doing my engine bay, I'll be using the Por15 Hardnose paint.