relocating battery to trunk...how much wire?

hoamskilet

Founding Member
Jun 19, 2001
Belvidere, IL
One of my little winter projects is gonna be moving my battery to the trunk in my 95 cobra. I'm going to be ordering some welding cable soon here and was wondering if anybody had a good idea of gauges/lengths of wire I need to get. thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

iv got some questions on relocating the battery, n00b questions. so when the battery is in the trunk, you use the 20' of positive cable and run it from the trunk, all the way to the cable in the engine bay that was once connected to the positive terminal on the battery? what do you do with the negative wire? i am very confused.

After doing a search on the web, I ran my ground back to the original ground in the engine compartment. Some say you don't need to (as noted above), others have noted problems when the ground is moved. I used 1/0 gauge for the positive cable & 2 gauge for the ground. I haven't had any problems with starting. I did this about 2 years (40,000 miles) ago.

I also ended up putting the battery on the driver side in the trunk. I was concerned about the lack of room on the passenger side where the gas tank actually rises under the trunk deck and the fuel lines exit the tank.

I've got a write up with pics on what I did if you pm me an e-mail address.

Over the years I've seen peeps say they had various probs with trunk mount battery relocations where they grounded to the frame close to the new battery location.

They ran same size wire to the original ground location and all probs were gone.

Again ... just info I have seen on these forums!

Grady