remember the guy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

first off, i spent 100 dollars at two different auto parts places to rent their compressors

you got ****ing robbed. I think I paid 45 dollars out the door for a set of spring compressors. Yes, sure they take a little bit of time to compress and decompress (20 minutes total for a pair) but there is no ****ing way im gonna take my arm/leg/skull off my body for a big pile of ****ing metal.

As for couple of us being a bunch of vaginas for not using spring compressors, could you give me your parents and/or gf/wifes contact info so i can get some foxbody parts cheap when they need to pay a funeral bill.

My biggest concern with the pipe clamp method is that it only takes one spring to fail, then the rest will fall like dominos.
I like the removing the inner a arm bolt method because with the brakes, and struts in place along with the long control arm still physically being there, most directions for the spring to go are blocked.

My biggest concern with the pipe clamp method is that it only takes one spring to fail, then the rest will fall like dominos.
I like the removing the inner a arm bolt method because with the brakes, and struts in place along with the long control arm still physically being there, most directions for the spring to go are blocked.
What you are saying is that you are ok with an uncontrolled energy source aimed randomly at your car...

Why would one NOT adequately constrain the springs before working with them???

In order to save 5-10 minutes? :shrug:

Not that I have done it, (though I'm not saying I wouldn't!) but if it makes any difference, this website rates their hose clamps (up to 1-3/16") good to 200 lbs/sq in. So 8-10 of those should be adequate to keep a spring compressed.

http://www.jupiter-clamps.com/Inside_mainfr1_wd.htm

-kyle

As a side note, I knew a guy when I was in high school that lowered his car by using hose clamps to compress the springs. We used to make fun of him, but he had a lowered car!

Not that I have done it, (though I'm not saying I wouldn't!) but if it makes any difference, this website rates their hose clamps (up to 1-3/16") good to 200 lbs/sq in. So 8-10 of those should be adequate to keep a spring compressed.

http://www.jupiter-clamps.com/Inside_mainfr1_wd.htm

-kyle
Note that the 200 Lb/sqin. is intended for radial pressure on the outside of a hose... along the entire diameter of the hose.

The hose clamp will not be loaded this way when used to 'compress' a spring.
Basically, those numbers are worthless.

If you really want to prove that this is a safe use of hose clamps, then find a hose clamp manufacturer who will endorse using their product as a spring compressor.

Something else that I should have realized sooner...
These guys are saying that installing 10 or so hose clamps on a spring and tightening it down is 'faster' and easier than installing 2 spring compressors which were designed to do the job right.

Even the justification for using the hose clamps is flawed...

:scratch:

You're right, I'm sure it's better to go through life a stupid retard

Now i know how you feel. :D

VRISTANG - Just leave, i'm tired of your complaining. No matter how much you preach its not gonna change the fact that people use this method. Quit repeating the same thing 18 times over again. Your starting to sound like a fool. Good day to you sir.

I have use a spring compressor that fits inside the spring, and when you are done, collapses and fits through the hole in the bottom of the control arm a number of times. This is by far the safest method I have used. A couple times I have used the method of unbolting the back of the A arm and lowering it slowly with a jack. This method isn't real safe but its not too bad, I dont however recommend this method for putting spring back in.

I mechanic professionally and after discussing this thread with a number of people who have been mechanicing professionally for over 30 years, we have decided that anyone who would use hose clamps and would recommend them to someone else to compress springs, is socially irresponsible and probably a moron.

I mechanic professionally and after discussing this thread with a number of people who have been mechanicing professionally for over 30 years, we have decided that anyone who would use hose clamps and would recommend them to someone else to compress springs, is socially irresponsible and probably a moron.

people who "mechanic professionally" usually refer to themselves as technicians :D

Also in a professional environment do you not have hydraulic spring compressors and bailing wire with crazy tensile strength? That has been my experience anyway.

I also think you coulda skipped asking your ultra veteran mechanic friends and went to the office staff, or people walking by and come to the same conclusion :nice:

Sorry I am not trying to be mean or anything just poking a little fun at how your frased that. Its very late in the evening for me and I am slightly punchy :p

people who "mechanic professionally" usually refer to themselves as technicians :D

Also in a professional environment do you not have hydraulic spring compressors and bailing wire with crazy tensile strength? That has been my experience anyway.

I also think you coulda skipped asking your ultra veteran mechanic friends and went to the office staff, or people walking by and come to the same conclusion :nice:

Sorry I am not trying to be mean or anything just poking a little fun at how your frased that. Its very late in the evening for me and I am slightly punchy :p

Down in the dumbass part of the south (Macon, GA) we say "mechanic professionally" more than technician for some reason, but I assure you that in my resume' I refer to myself as an automotive technician lol.

Yes I could have asked any idiot the same question about the hose clamps and come to the same conclusions, but there wouldn't be as much validity to what I was saying.

BTW I work at a shop that mostly specializes in transmission and engine repair, so no we dont have all of those fancy suspension tools you mentioned.

Down in the dumbass part of the south (Macon, GA) we say "mechanic professionally" more than technician for some reason, but I assure you that in my resume' I refer to myself as an automotive technician lol.

Yes I could have asked any idiot the same question about the hose clamps and come to the same conclusions, but there wouldn't be as much validity to what I was saying.

BTW I work at a shop that mostly specializes in transmission and engine repair, so no we dont have all of those fancy suspension tools you mentioned.

I live in Vegas so I guess the shops I worked at were probably alot newer than the ones in GA. People out here tend to replace old equipment... and by old I mean if something new comes out they get it. This is the land of lets pretend we have more money than god.

I guess I live in the dumbass part of the west, because to 90 percent of the population a high school education makes you a genious.

Now i know how you feel. :D

VRISTANG - Just leave, i'm tired of your complaining. No matter how much you preach its not gonna change the fact that people use this method. Quit repeating the same thing 18 times over again. Your starting to sound like a fool. Good day to you sir.
Take your 10 posts and piss off.

If you don't want to read this thread, then that is easy to fix.

I will keep hounding this topic until I feel my point has been made.

Why?

Because if just 1 person considering this hears my justification for why it is a RETARDED idea, then it is worth the time.

AGAIN,
Unless you have something meaningful, piss off.

Closing or deleting this thread will not sit well with me.

Here is why.

A dangerous bit of advice has been given. This advice has been given on this site before (see the previously posted links)
Based on these links, members of this site are following this advice.

I understand letting people exchange ideas freely. That is the entire point of the forum.
I also understand closing a topic that is becoming more of a liability than asset to the site.

But look at it this way.
Right now the 'dangerous advice' being given is a liability to the site.
Allowing members to point out the danger involved in using hose clamps on suspension coils brings a little sanity back to the thread/forum.

Please,
Do not lock this thread.
If anything, I would request it to be moved back to the tech section so that BS posts can be reduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.