Remote Start

iklepac13

Founding Member
May 25, 2002
Detroit
Hey guys,

Is it possible to get a remote car starter with a manual transmission?

I've always thought it wasn't possible, but it's pretty cold here in Michigan, so I'd like to know if I'm suffering needlessly here.

you know, when ice forms on my back as I'm pulling away from the gym and all.

• Sponsors (?)

the only place that I've seen that sells them is Mustangsunlimited.com

of course you'd have to always leave your car in neutral and set your parking brake whenever you would want to use it. The biggest pain in the wiring would be the clutch engagement stuff. Shouldn't be all that bad though......I've thought about one myself

It is possible. I have the alarm/remote start from compustar. It is a really neat toy. But I had to send in to get a new one cause my first one wasn't working properly. It's handy to have but it is a pretty spendy set up. And I would highly recommend having a skilled professional install this. Things tend to go wrong with them a lot. I've had mine worked on 2 or 3 times already and I've only had it for about half a year.

Nazgul said:
What's the big deal with remote start anyway? It seems like another cool gizmo that's not really worth getting to me.

It's a luxury. I like to let my car warm up for at least ten minutes before I drive it on a cold day. This ten minutes is usually the time I'm getting ready for work, and the remote start would save me from having to run outside in my underwear.

A friend of mine said I might have trouble with the liablilty of possibly leaving it in gear, and sending my car through my front window or something, therefore some shops might not install it.

I;ll check around, thanks for the info guys.

ryanrule said:
there should be safeguards against that, i think there are sensors that only start it when its out of gear
like i said the cliffords make you go through an exit procedure or it will not start. you have to make sure the car is in neutral, parking brake is set, then push a set of buttons and remove the key, then exit the vehicle and arm and it will shut itself down and allow you to remote start it

iklepac13 said:
It's a luxury. I like to let my car warm up for at least ten minutes before I drive it on a cold day. This ten minutes is usually the time I'm getting ready for work, and the remote start would save me from having to run outside in my underwear.

A friend of mine said I might have trouble with the liablilty of possibly leaving it in gear, and sending my car through my front window or something, therefore some shops might not install it.

I;ll check around, thanks for the info guys.

Hmm, I guess it is a little more helpful for you northern people.