removed the spare tire area

parthos

Founding Member
Sep 21, 2000
Bismarck ND
Since I never have had a spare in the darn thing I thought that by cutting out the spare tire well area would give me some much needed room under the car. By doing this, a fuel cell can be mounted in the center of the car, the exhaust is easy to get to come out both sides, etc... I have other reasons for doing this, but it may be something to consider for us street/strip guys.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 387
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 755
  • Sponsors (?)

I've been planning that for awhile, as I also want to install a fuel cell.
I'm going to make the deck lid remotely open(and a release button in the glovebox, like the foxes have, also) with some type of newer style pneumatic shocks to make the lid open slowly and not spring open violently. Seems like a cool way to put fuel in the cell.
Also, it looks like without the spare tire well back there, the flowmasters will fit on edge right up next to each lower trunk box, and then the exhaust can exit through the sheet steel bumper-eliminator lower panel. The mufflers should be pretty well hidden out of sight that way.

Keep in mind that if anyone plans to race their car at a track, the cell must be properly installed. That means that if it's inside the passengers compartment, you must fabricate an NHRA legal firewall seperating the cell from the driver. Not too fun to do on a fastback MII. A coupe should be easy though. Also, if you put the cell half in and half out of the trunk floor, the part that sticks under the car must also have NHRA shielding over it.

That's why I just modded a stock II tank for the Thundersnake ;).

I'm going to make the deck lid remotely open(and a release button in the glovebox, like the foxes have, also)

Just some FYI. The electric release from the 70's Town Car and Continental luxo barges is a bolt in. Just remember to use a shorter screw for the center screw in the tail panel covers because it will hit the latch solenoid.

I removed the sending unit assembly from the stock tank, cut off the 5/16" fuel line from the flange and brazed a 1/2" stainless tube into it. (The sending unit still works, too) I then ran 1/2" aluminum tubing in the stock location up to the engine bay, and secured the line with rubber insulated stainless clamps. (I run a 17psi-output mechanical race pump with 3/4" inlet and outlet, too.) I figured that fuel system might be large enough to provide enough fuel for a small block. lol. Overkill is the best policy. :D
It works very nicely, but I just hate the fact that all that space is being wasted on an empty tire well back there. Exhaust is so tight under the car, it's a pain, and I don't like clutter, either.
But what really bugs me is the stock fuel fill right in the side of an otherwise beautiful body curve. It's gotta go.

IIxs said:
Just some FYI. The electric release from the 70's Town Car and Continental luxo barges is a bolt in. Just remember to use a shorter screw for the center screw in the tail panel covers because it will hit the latch solenoid.

Ah, thanks. I always try to keep things like that stock Ford parts.

that what I just did last weekend.:nice: really like the look from the rear of the car with no gas tank, just rear end and exhaust dumps. It looks my back end sits really high when you look at it from the rear.

for the firewall issue, I will make it when the cage gets put in. For now it wont see track time.

I was going to put a cell in years ago. The reason I didn't was because of incompatible fuel senders, and the high degradation rate of the foam. Everyone that I have known had problem with that if the car was other than track or garage queen. I ended up using my stock tank, rotating it 90 degrees, and making it fill from the top. I used an EXP remote fuel door in the center of mine, making it fuelled through the trunk lid.

74ProII said:
I was going to put a cell in years ago. The reason I didn't was because of incompatible fuel senders, and the high degradation rate of the foam. Everyone that I have known had problem with that if the car was other than track or garage queen. I ended up using my stock tank, rotating it 90 degrees, and making it fill from the top. I used an EXP remote fuel door in the center of mine, making it fuelled through the trunk lid.

I thought about using an old stainless beer keg or something similar instead of a cell. I wonder how many times I'd get pulled over by the cops and given a breathalizer test if they saw a big shining beer keg sticking out from under the trunk..