Removing dash from 97 mustang

SlowPony97

Oct 8, 2007
I am in the process of removing the dash from my vehicle (if wondering why, i have one of the beautiful tan interior) to replace it with black interior i got from an 02 GT. As far as the dash goes i have taken most of the bolts holding the dash in. The part that i am most concerned about is on the drivers side. Must i take the entire steering column out before removing the dash?:shrug:
If i have to remove the entire steering column how hard is it to put back in. Is it just bolting it back up and be done with it or is there more to it.
Thanks alot guys.

• Sponsors (?)

i dont think you will have to remove the steering column but you probably will have to unbolt it from the the dash frame. there should be two bolts holding it up....take those out and it should rest on the drivers seat

I have a 96 cobra that I've taken the dash out of for the same reason, you don't have to remove the steering column but you have to unbolt the steering shaft, there is one bolt and it will come apart. The steering column actually has 4 bolts and it will make the dash lighter if you remove it first but it isn't necessary.

There are 4 nuts that you have to unbolt and it should come down. If you take the drivers seat out or move the seat all the way back it would probably help by giving you more room. I have black interior pieces from a 96gt if you need any. My email is [email protected].

please give this guy some good advice since i will be the one doing all the work in this swap:rolleyes:

all the seats are out of the car. we are down to swapping the dash and center console into it and then the engine should be ready to come out.