Removing door strip protecters

crzyhrse99

Mar 30, 2005
Kansas
A buddy has some of those protection strips on the side of his car and wants to take them off. I suggested using a heat gun/hair dryer and gently start pulling them off. My question is what can he use to remove the glue/adhesive that is left on the car w/o damaging the paint?

• Sponsors (?)

Hey everyone I was searching around on this because I really want to do this but am afraid still about scratching paint. I just dont see alot of good information on it. In this and a different thread they say just get the heat gun out and start pulling it will come off but can anyone give me some tips I just really dont wanna mess it up. Anything anyone did to make it really easy.. anything special used when taking it off etc. Thanks a bunch.

fishing string and heat gun or blow-dryer. i tried floss but it snapped (removed buddys srt4 badging from his neon) but fishing string worked better.

use it like a saw back and forth between the trim and the door. the rest of the residue can be taken off with the blow dryer and some elbow grease, or various other chemicals (wd40, gasoline, goo-gone, etc). if you use some sort of chemical, make sure to wash and wax afterwards.