Removing EGR and SMOG stuff Need your advice

hollywoodstang

May 23, 2006
Hey fellas. I am getting ready to remove my smog pump and EGR stuff...Basically All the emission stuff. Maybe the A/C also...I am still thinking about the A/C due to California heat but i never use it because the car is convertible.

Anyways, What is the down side of removing the EGR and SOMG pump? I read it some where it will throw a code and car will not run correctly or something...is this true? Or should i just keep the stuff and just delete the Smog pump?

I just don't see the point of removing one and not the other? If i remove the smog pump i will not pass smog check anyways right?

So basically i need to know the upside and down side to this. I already know how to remove them so there is no problem in that area:)

Thanks guys:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

i removed the smog pump with no i'll effects i have not removed the egr i have read where deleting the egr has posed detonation issues with the gt40 heads and a lot of timing has to be backed out to help i dont know if this is true or not just what i have read.

If you live in Emissions happy Cali I would leave it all intact.
If you do decide to delete it, that function should be turned off in the ecm.

+1. My car was fine without the smog for about 3 months, then all of a sudden my CEL lit up. Checked the code, and it was smog pump related. I had a custom chip burned shutting off the smog (and EGR just for the hell of it), and have had no problems since. I only did the EGR to free up clutter, but my car runs fine with no detonation with the chip.

+1. My car was fine without the smog for about 3 months, then all of a sudden my CEL lit up. Checked the code, and it was smog pump related. I had a custom chip burned shutting off the smog (and EGR just for the hell of it), and have had no problems since. I only did the EGR to free up clutter, but my car runs fine with no detonation with the chip.

So you are saying even if i just delete only smog pump i would have to get the chip? or CEL would come on and i will have idle or driving issue?:shrug:

Thanks