Removing rear spolier..... Filling in holes

Cobra Jay

Apr 7, 2004
Motor City
Well, since I'm unfortunately not going to trade my GT for a Mach1, I've decided to do the Bullitt side scoops, and remove the rear spoiler.

For those of you who are now "Wingless" what did you use to fill in the holes?

I'm not talking about those cheesy plugs either.:rolleyes: I'm talking about body filler,fiberglass,duraglass?

Any tips on what to do or what not to do.

I've done body work in the past, just looking for any tips.

• Sponsors (?)

I'd suggest picking up another decklid without holes in it.
But if you are set on doing the bodywork yourself, get somthing to support the underside, I've seen a few cars that didn't and it started sagging over time.

HEY you insulted my plugs :nonono:

Yeah, I think the blacked-out spoilers look really good. However, if you have to remove it, I'd deffinately fill in the holes properly, or somehow acquire a wingless trunk lid. The plugs that some people use DO look like crap:notnice: Also, what is the difference between stock GT side scoops and the bullitt ones?? Just wondering.:shrug:

BooWFO said:
I'd suggest picking up another decklid without holes in it.
But if you are set on doing the bodywork yourself, get somthing to support the underside, I've seen a few cars that didn't and it started sagging over time.

HEY you insulted my plugs :nonono:

I havn't really looked for one, but I'm sure they're out there. Body work is easy, if you know what you're doing. Especially when you're working with Fiberglass and body filler. If you've seen sagging, then the person who did the body work didn't have a F'N clue what they were doing. I'll go talk to my uncle who's been restoring cars for 35+ years and ask him for some suggestions. I've got to go ask him about doing the paint work anyway.:nice:

Torinalth said:
take the easy route... trade a guy with a v6 that wants a wing. may take a month or so to track down... but its free and no need to fill holes.

Torinalth

Sounds simple, but the key factor is finding someone with the same body color as me with a spolier delete v-6, who wants a decklid with a Black spolier. A LOT easier said than done. :bang:

Mossberg said:
I actually liked the blacked out spoiler.:(

I did at first, but it's getting old. :rolleyes: Wait 'til you see what mine looks like - the spolier :drool: I almost left the spolier off and didn't paint it at first.

You want it for yours? I'll sell it to you cheap and I'll even bring it to you tomorrow so you can install it before you leave fopr Hotlanta. :shrug:

You know how I feel about the MACHs, and if I had the Money to do it, I'd turn my into a MACH VERT complete with the 4V swap, wheels, stripes, emplems, Shaker hood, seats covering to finish off my interior and OF COURSE a few fresh coats of Azure Blue. :drool: :hail2:

02FastblackGT said:
Yeah, I think the blacked-out spoilers look really good. However, if you have to remove it, I'd deffinately fill in the holes properly, or somehow acquire a wingless trunk lid. The plugs that some people use DO look like crap:notnice: Also, what is the difference between stock GT side scoops and the bullitt ones?? Just wondering.:shrug:

Mossberg said:
Bullit scoops are not actually scoops. They are more like panels. They give a cleaner look than the fake GT scoops.

I'm not going to plug hioles in a 30k+ car with plastic and leave it at that. :notnice: :nono: I'm definately going to fill them in and paint.

Here' a pic of the Bullitt side "scoops".
sscoop.jpg

Definately a much better look than those Cheesey AZZ fake ones that they come with.

Next year, I'm planning on getting ride of the fake hood scoop and replacing the hood with a Cobra R cowl hood. :nice: