Removing the MAF

Frumious B.

Apr 26, 2003
Texas
Myy MAF has a tamper resistant star-head screw holding it on (the kind with the post sticking up in the middle). Where can I buy a socket to get this off? Sears has the whole tamper resistant set, but it was some no-name brand, and I really only want one socket.

Anyway, how often do you guys clean/replace the MAF? to my knowledge, mine has never been either cleaned or replaced. I want to clean it, just as general maintenance and b/c my emissions barely passed. I'm at 171k now.

• Sponsors (?)

Frumious B. said:
Myy MAF has a tamper resistant star-head screw holding it on (the kind with the post sticking up in the middle). Where can I buy a socket to get this off? Sears has the whole tamper resistant set, but it was some no-name brand, and I really only want one socket.

Anyway, how often do you guys clean/replace the MAF? to my knowledge, mine has never been either cleaned or replaced. I want to clean it, just as general maintenance and b/c my emissions barely passed. I'm at 171k now.
you dont need to remove the star screws, just take out the 4 bolts that hold it to the air box, and then undo the clamp on the other side. the MAF is that whole piece.

Dr.