Removing window crank to put speakers in...

grn4banger

Founding Member
Feb 15, 2001
Nazareth/ PSU, PA
Ok, I've been trying to get a screwdriver in between, pliers...nothing is getting the window crank off so i can get into the door to put the new speakers in. I'm beginning to think the autozone guy had no clue what to do but just told me thats what to do so he didn't have to look up the tool. So, how do I get the window crank off of a 95? Thanx

-Dubbs

• Sponsors (?)

If it's similar to the fox cars, I use a tool for removing trim and window cranks. It slides underneath and pops the cover up -- then there's a torx screw under that that holds it on. You can get them from any auto parts store.

I hate window cranks

I hate removing window cranks, they are such a pain. The best way to do it is get an old dishcloth, or tshirt or some thin fabric, and move it back and forth, side to side, up and down, whichever way works, the clip you are trying to remove looks like a small metal letter "C" and you will hear a click when it pops off. My first window crank removal took me over an hour, but once you put enough pressure on the fabric you are using, and just keep moving it back and forth, the clip will catch, and you will be on your way. Good luck man.

MyEarsHurt said:
I hate removing window cranks, they are such a pain. The best way to do it is get an old dishcloth, or tshirt or some thin fabric, and move it back and forth, side to side, up and down, whichever way works, the clip you are trying to remove looks like a small metal letter "C" and you will hear a click when it pops off. My first window crank removal took me over an hour, but once you put enough pressure on the fabric you are using, and just keep moving it back and forth, the clip will catch, and you will be on your way. Good luck man.

It's really not bad if you use the tool I was talking about -- takes me about 3 seconds to pop the cover off.

The old dishtowel trick worked really well. Took maybe 30 seconds a door. The rest of the door didn't go as easy (snapped some of the plastic things that hold the interior to the door, so hopefully once the glue sets that will all be ok tho. Thanks again.

-Dubbs