Rent a Tool

nugget68

Sep 26, 2005
Anyone used this rent a tool program from advance auto? I am getting ready to replace my front springs and they say they have a spring compresser that I can rent. Just wondering if it will work...

• Sponsors (?)

I'm currently renting (if you can call it that) a pulley remover/installer from Advance Auto. I was intending on purchasing it, but when he gave me the tool
I said: "Wait I don't want this one, it's been used."
He replied: "You don't want to keep it, do you?"
Me: "Well, I guess not."
Counter guy: "So just rent it."
Me: "OK, how much does that cost?"
Counter guy: "Just bring it back. You pay for it now and get your money back when you return it."
Me: "Really, so it costs me nothing?"
Counter guy: "As long as you return it."

Not the most profitable business model, but it works for me.

I'm currently renting (if you can call it that) a pulley remover/installer from Advance Auto. I was intending on purchasing it, but when he gave me the tool
I said: "Wait I don't want this one, it's been used."
He replied: "You don't want to keep it, do you?"
Me: "Well, I guess not."
Counter guy: "So just rent it."
Me: "OK, how much does that cost?"
Counter guy: "Just bring it back. You pay for it now and get your money back when you return it."
Me: "Really, so it costs me nothing?"
Counter guy: "As long as you return it."

Not the most profitable business model, but it works for me.

Think about it this way; you pay retail for the tool, you get the money back when you return it; you're probably going to think of something else to buy before you leave with all your money. You're happy, because you didn't have to buy a 'one-time-use' tool. They're happy because you spent more money in their store when you returned the tool; and because they have the tool back to 'rent' to somebody else and do it all over again. They're also happy because you just added your recommendation to this thread; creating more customers.

If you don't return the tool; well, they grab another one of the shelf (or more likely a 'customer return item'). Meanwhile, you've just paid full retail for a tool that's been used ? number of times by other customers, one of whom probably recommended them to you after he 'rented' the tool. Their promotion program works.

There isn't an Advance here in Yuma, AZ; and the local Autostoned rental tools are usually on the ragged edge of failing. I've heard that O'Reilly has the same program 'back East'; now that they've bought CSK Auto, I'm waiting to hear that the local Checker Auto Parts stores have adopted their new owners' program. I don't want to buy a another spring compressor when my plan is to 'do' the front springs on my Cougar only once. Both pickups have torsion bars, so I won't need that particular tool for them.

u can use both styles of compressors. the outside ones are difficult to use if your installing/removing stock style springs cause you need to compress them a whole lot! ive broken 2 of my own personal tools on them, and they dont compress the spring evenly, but you still can use them. the inside are a pain as well but i found that they were the only option for me to compress a stock spring,but even then the tools threaded rod hits the control arm before you can get enough compression to get the spring in!

I agree, I've seen guys use the outer style spring compressors, and it's just sooooo slow and frustrating to watch. I use the inner-style and it's a breeze, just assemble it inside the spring, use either a ratchet or impact gun to compress the spring, and it's out in a hurry, and safely. ONe way to get a stock-length spring out easier is to remove the sway bar from both sides. This allows the spindle and lower mount to drop far enough to make full-length spring removal a breeze.

Well I went and got the inner spring compresser and it wasnt very helpful...I could barely get it down in the spring...maybe I was doing it wrong...anyway, I got the spring out but decided not to use it on the other side and it came out with little problems (I had springs for 65-66 on a 68 so they were same height as 620's for the 68). all is good now and I have my new springs installed...thanks everyone for your help...