Replaceing Seals in Power Steering Rack

eaglecap

Jul 31, 2000
I have to replace all the seals in my '75 Power Steering rack. Leaks around the shaft to right wheel and from the main body. Parts house sold me an Omega kit 2789 by Corteco. Some of the seals are correct but most aren't. According to Mustang Unlimited info from their catalog I have a TRW rack, not a Ford rack. It is the original rack. I am only owner and have never done anything to it. Looking at the auto house parts catalogs, the one that looks most like mine is not labeled a Ford or a TRW. Mine has 3 mounting bolts, not two, threaded dust cover on bottom of main body, and a riveted id tag, but it is also embossed with the "Ford" emblem near the main body. Did TRW put the Ford emblem on theirs?

The main clue that this is the wrong kit is that the lock nut for the drive pinion is way too small in the kit as are the O-rings on top and bottom. However the oil seals for the main body top and bottom are correct. Do not know if the shaft seals are correct, since I haven't quite figured out how to get the shafts out. They look like they have a pin that has to be drilled out in order to lossen the nut in the middle of the connecting shaft. Anyone have a shop manual that shows how to get the shafts out of the main body?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)