Replacement Engine?

SuperStang53100

Feb 8, 2004
I just bought a 1987 Gt. It's pretty much going to need a ground up resto. the engine has about 160,000 on it. I am looking to get about 400-450hp by the time the project is done. Should I rebuild and stroke the original block or would i be better off with a crate engine, and if so what are the best engines for the price. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I am in the same boat as you are beleive it or not. You could probally just use the stock short block and get it stroked, but I am considering a Ford Racing GT-40 performace engine myself. It is all just in what you want to do.

I suggest getting a DSS 331 or 347...they are about 2500...get yourself some nice heads etc and you should be close to your goal...the FORD RACING crate engines are not bad but you won't make mroe than 260-270RWHP...There are better combos out there that are slightly more but also make more HP...With a high milage motor you will have to bore the engine and have to pay the machine shop to do it...unless you can get all the stuff yourself...