Replacement Ps Pulley

Mustang922

Aug 16, 2014
Hey all,
I need to replace my jacked power steering pulley on my 95 5.0 because I accidentally bent it. Obviously no body has an aftermarket just oem replacements which I can find on eBay but the prices are ridiculous. Is it possible to use a press on pulley from an explorer, v6 mustang, thunderbird or anything else? If so what year? The pump will be replaced as well for precaution. Any help would be appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

if the pump is being replaced as well, why not go to your local parts store and but a new or rebuilt unit with pulley intact
I've never seen a pump that comes with a pulley at a parts store. Especially not a 94-95 v8 pulley (the pump is the same as many other years and engines, but that darned pulley is completely unique).

Long story short, you're probably screwed. You'll have to bite the bullet and pick up whatever you can find. I hate to give that answer, but it's better than spinning your wheels looking for days for a matching part -- no one I know has found one. If the eBay price-gouging is a bit much, this is the only aftermarket one I've ever seen: http://wazees.com/products/9495PS.html (a fair price, but they're one-time-use only since the aluminum strips after one use -- though you can pick up two for the price of some of those rusty eBay examples).

The v6 and Fox pulleys all sit further forward than ours (you'll notice the pump nose-cone comes well into the pulley). I've not seen another Ford anything like it. If you tried a v6 or other pulley, you'd have to shim the pump back to align the belt with the other pulleys. Which is impossible since you can't even get a finger behind the pump it's so close to the valve-cover / head.

In the future, and for others inquiring, never destroy your 94-95 v8 PS pulley to get it off, use the correct puller, heat the pulley if needed. Destroy the pump first if you have to. Never pound on it to get it on. If you manage to strip out the threads inside the shaft while installing, just throw the pulley in the oven for 30 minutes at 350, or use a heat-gun on the central hub, and it will drop right on with zero force needed. Or replace the pump, they're relatively cheap.

And... take a dremel to one of those holes and hog it out if you want the pump and pulley to come off as a unit. If you remove a little material you can get a socket on the 3 mounting bolts and remove them, and the bracket has a slot for the whole thing to come out while assembled.
s-l1600.jpg