Replacing A/C Evaporator core in 87-93

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Has anyone here replaced their A/C evaporator core or know a good write-up to do so?

I've seen one before that involved cutting the HVAC box, but i really don't want to do that at all. Theres gotta be a no-cut way right??

Getting the dash off is no problem, i can do that in an hour. It's once i get down to the HVAC box, what next?

I'm putting the AC back in my Mustang and the original Evap has been let open for 10+ years. I looked inside with a borescope and it's dirty as hell. I'm not sure flushing it would clean it properly. I wold just feel better with a new core given my investment cost so far in all NEW Ford A/C components and R-12

• Sponsors (?)

Yep I agree with the above ,been there done it. "A few times" LOL

Remove the box, put it on a bench and split it on the seam.

Since there's so much much work involved in removing the box, you might as well replace the heater core as well while you have the box out and open in front of you.

Good Luck

I agree with you on the core...

I shgould do it while i'm there....but what's on the market for heater cores? i went out of my way to find an OEM Ford evap core, what's the chance that I can find an OEM Ford core and not some cheap chinese crap?

The one that's in there is OEM and works fine. Kinda sad when i trust it more than aftermarket junk

5L5...

You should still be able to order one from the dealership. I did mine what... 3 or so years ago and that's where I got mine.

I cut the box though. I wanted access so that I could do it again relatively easily, if I needed to.

it would only take you another 20 minutes to pull the box once you have the dash out. Even with my swapped dash I can have the box out in 30 minutes. Meaning sitting there on the work bench. But then again I have had this box out so many times during mock-up that it is second nature to me....

I'm not worried about taking the box out. I've been "there" so many times i know how to get it out.

Just had questions about getting the core out. Pics i've seen show hacking the box apart and rigging it all back together. I want to hack as little as possible.

I'll try and score a core in the meantime. I'll tackle this when winter comes

I am seriously contemplating sourcing a spare box for when I do mine. That way it will be all done and I can just slide it in. I cant see one costing a whole lot.

I thought the same. Figure I'd get a spare box, and swap it out after putting the new cores in. Problem is a box on eBay is gonna run near $100+.

Guess I'll just pull mine...not like car is gonna go anywhere when there is 2 feet of snow outside

Oh and ford heater core...$120 :(

Just did mine in the Spring. Box splits apart with a screwdriver. Be careful and work screwdriver around box slowly and it separates pretty easily. Drill about four or five sets of 1/8" holes around perimeter of box (where you can get a tie-rap through) above and below the flanges. Once you replace everything, run a bead of slicone around the box where it separated and tie- wrap it shut tightly. The combination of silicone and tie-wraps will seal it properly and hold it together. Use small tie-wraps in the 1/8" holes. Contact Team Ford Parts in Nevada or on the internet ... they had the best price on the internet. Everything to rebuild this box only takes about an hour ... its actually more work getting the dash out and back in. Good Luck!