Replacing Dash Pad

Bmwz389

Dec 5, 2009
Hey guys!

Just curious about replacing this pad on the dash:

25232_355882183972_558848972_4783978_2374263_n.jpg

Do I need to take out the entire dash to change it?

Also, is there a place that reproduces these? I'm pretty sure all used ones will be cracked or close to cracking, so I'd rather not go that route haha.

Thanks!

- Brandon

• Sponsors (?)

There are about 5 or screws going into it from under the front edge (close to where the ones are that hold the gauge bezel in) and one on each side just below the edge of the windshield vents. Then the pad and the metal plate just lift off the dash frame, and you can undo the screws holding the pad to the plate.

The pads can be hard to find in good shape, but I have at least one spare black one. They DO exist... :nice:

Mine is cracked in the same place as yours. I was just going to buy a dash overlay that goes over the current dash. I've never used one but know a few people that have used them. They all seemed to be happy and look like the original. I would think if was cracked bad like your ans mine that you would have to cut away the edges that have lifted up. That would allow the pad to lay down smooth and even. IDK, just a guess. Stock Interiors sells them. They are cheapest that I've anywhere else.
1974-1978 Ford Mustang Molded Plastic Dash Cover 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978

I dunno I'd kinda like to have the soft foam pad there, just sounds nicer than a hard piece of plastic that lays over it. I'll look into it though. Thanks for the tip!

- Brandon

Yea, I kinda feel the same way too. But, as hard as it is to find an original pad that is in good shape, the overlay my be the only option. At least for me. Of all of the cars I've had, the Mustang II is the hardest to find parts for. Man!!!

I bought a refinished dash from them a while back for my other car, and needless to say, it wasn't perfect for the price ($960), the recessed trim lines were filled in, and one of the panels near the defrost air duct was warped. Was upset, but when it was insurance money, I didn't complain too much haha.

They pretty much repair damaged areas, and then spray a vinyl compound over the whole panel so it matches.

- Brandon

Yeow! I had heard that their product was a little lacking in detail because of their vacuum forming process, but I didn't realize the cost was so high.

I wonder what it would cost to have an upholstery shop recover a dash in leather? Filling in damaged areas wouldn't be rocket science, and the leather would cover some imperfections.

I like the stitching look that you see on the edge of some custom leather covered dashes.

That would be interesting to see!

With a part that odd shaped might be hard, but you never know lol.

As for the dash, I didn't know what their process was, but all I know is it wasn't up to par with the restoration standards. But at the same time, smoothing out some of those 80's hard lines made it look a bit newer and sleeker. So all in all I didn't mind, just wish it wasn't bowing at the duct!

- Brandon