Replacing only rear brake pads?

Power4

May 10, 2004
Rochester, NY
Just had my Stang into the dealer for it's 45k mile service and they said I need new tires and rear brake pads. I'm wondering if it I could get some high performance pads like Hawk HPS and run those only on the rear? Would that be detrimental in any way to have OEM pads on the front and high performance ones on the back? Would it provide any improvement in braking to only run high performance pads on the back?

Also, if anyone has some good tire recommendations I'd appreciate it. I'm thinking of replacing the stock 17" Pirellis with some Yokohama S.drives.

• Sponsors (?)

Since I'm still learning about the newer Mustangs I have no definite answer, BUT, I cant see why it would be detrimental to run high performance pads in the back with OE pads in the front, the way I see it, it should help take a little stress off of the front brakes, I may be totally wrong here, BUT, my ultimate suggestion would be to run the same pads all the way around the car, it would provide you with the absolute best results. Best of luck :)

+1 Do not mismatch your brake pads like that reason being if you add a performance brake pad to the rear and leave the front OEM you'll shift your braking bias to the rear of the car which could be dangerous if you trailbrake or brake into a corner. That'll add more oversteer to your turning which could cause your car to lose control especially on things such as highway onramps or particularly quick turns.

My suggestion is always if you can afford to replace ALL brake pads that way you make sure you start with the factory preset braking bias which is set for safety. If you can at least make sure your rear pads are the same as the front ones.

Used to have those on my previous set of wheels. I miss them. They were really sticky and had excellent grip levels in the wet. They didn't seem to wear out too quickly either so that's definitely another plus.