replacing steering box

72grande

Founding Member
May 27, 2002
Sunny D
Well, replacing the pitman arm seals fixed my powersteering leak, for about 4 days. Its back in full force. Clearly I screwed somthing up, and rather than beat myself up over the 14 bucks I wasted, I'm just going to replace the whole damn box.

My chiltons has just about zero information on replacing it. So I come to, the stangnet hive-mind, and ask for you guidence. Heres what I know. I need a pitman arm puller to get it off. I rember a few bolts (3?) through the frame that were clearly for holding the box in place. What else is involved in its removal/instalation. How does the steering collom attach? Do I need a special tool to disconect it? Are there other bolts, besides the ones I saw going through the frame, holding it on? Anytying to be double sure not to overtighten? Any general wit or wisdom?

• Sponsors (?)

I am planning the same thing sometime this spring on my 72 Grande. So take some detailed pictures and notes for me. I actually have a rebuilt steering box that already has the pitman arm attached. As for how the steering column, it is attached with a ragjoint. basically a big rubber donut with I think 2 bolts into the bottom of the column and two into the steering box. They are cheap and you should probably replace that since you will have to disconnect it anyway. I think I paid like $9 from CJ pony parts.

Disconnect the power steering lines from the gearbox. Use flare-nut wrenches so you don't round off the fittings. Unbolt the rag joint, two 1/2" bolts/nuts, kinda difficult access. remove the pitman arm nut then use a pitman arm puller to remove it from the gearbox (you've done this already to change the seals). Then remove the three bolts holding the gearbox to the unibody rail. Be sure to support the gearbox as you're doing this and be careful because the gearbox is heavy.

OK, I swapped in a re-manufactured box this morning. I couldnt find my digital camera , so no pics. But its just like you guys said. Couple notes, just to make it crystal clear for anyone finding this in a search later.

You only need to undo two nuts on the rag-joint. They are half-inch, and you will need two half inch wrentchs, one to turn te nut and one to hold the bolthead. They are very easy to acsess, and it makes perfect sence once you take a loot at it. If you have problems getting the hoses unbolted from the box, like I did, you can unbolt the box from the frame (3/4 inch wrench) and carefully drop/twist the steering box a little to have easier acsess to the hoses. There are several inches of play in the hoses to work with. Its also impossible to screw up witch hose goes into witch hole because they are slightly differnt bolt sizes. It's really pretty straight forward once you get into it. Dont forget a pitman arm puller.

It took me 4 hours, but I wasnt moving fast, and I took my time to clean all the mud/grime off each bolt and the frame as I was working. The box cost me 155 at napa, they had it in stock, and feels great on the road.
:nice:

Mine sure was - its all internal. Just hook the two hoses up to the two ports on the steering unit, bolt it to the car and its good to go. Nothing seperate except the PS pump.

Well son of a......

Has anyone ever swaped one of these into an earlier model ? Are those boxes more troublesome then the later boxes ? I've never seen them so I wouldn't know but it would seem to me that a single unit like that is a much cleaner solution. I'm sure there are ups and downs to....

Rusty67 said:
Well son of a......

Has anyone ever swaped one of these into an earlier model ? Are those boxes more troublesome then the later boxes ? I've never seen them so I wouldn't know but it would seem to me that a single unit like that is a much cleaner solution. I'm sure there are ups and downs to....

There is no room for one of these boxes in an earlier model. Wouldn't it be nice if there was?

I heard a while back that Global West was working on an integrated-assist box for earlys.

Best thing I found for the linkage-assist systems is the Borgeson remanufactured gearbox. Less costly than a Flaming River box and it has a 3-year warranty.

www.borgeson.com

How's that box working out? I looked at Napa's website and they have the boxes. The dude at the store told me they didn't carry those boxes. Maybe he meant they would have to order something like that, but he looked in his computer, so I don't know. Anyway I was wondering if you could tell me the part number.