Replacing Steering Rack Bushings

Gentlemen, saw previous threads about replacing steering rack bushings. Got the bushing today and will put them in tomorrow. Couple of questions. To access rack bushings I need to remove rack or at least loosen it from the K member, is this right? Or do I need to remove it from the steering column. I've heard it both ways. Can't find a video or diagram of where to remove it.

Second, I've always greased sway bar bushings etc. so they wouldn't make noise or bind. Saw one article that says not to do this so the bushings won't move. Need some expertise. Getting older and don't like to do a lot of extra cranking around an easy fix.

Thanks for your expertise,
Lonestar

• Sponsors (?)

It will probably not be necessay to disconnect the steering shaft since it has the capability to extend. If you do disconnect it you will probably break your clock spring so try not to.

If I remember correctly, I did disconnect the steering shaft. It's only one bolt and not hard to get to.

The bushings make a subtle, but noticeable difference. Not a hard job but plenty to bust your knuckles on.