replacing tailights

ghetto5oh

Sep 18, 2005
so cal
sup guys, i just got a pair of lx tail light lenses :nice: and was wondering how do i take them off?? also do i need to reconfigure any of the bulbs or wires?? i just got my 89gt:flag: a couple of weeks ago, sorry for the newbie questions, thx.

• Sponsors (?)

you just have to pry the lenses away from the housings very carefully. the lenses are held onto the housings by a black caulk called buytle caulk. i don't know where to find it, but any plastic adhesive that seals out moisture would work to re apply the lenses. be sure to remove all the old butyle caulk. grab on the outside edges, the ones closest to the license plate and around the side of the car. no re-configuring required, you might want to change the turn signal bulbs to amber bulbs though. i've been pulled over twice because i didn't. i have cobra tail lights now though. anyways, on the GT cheese graters, the area over the turn signal bulb is red so ford used a clear bulb on the GT's. on the LX lenses, the part over the turn signal bulbs are clear, so if you use the same bulbs you'll have "white" or "clear" turn signals which apparently is illegal.

if you are just swapping lenses, they just pry away from the housing. you dont even have to remove the housing from the car. i suggest letting them sit in the sun or heating the butyl tape to soften it up before you start reefing on the old lenses. there are also a few metal retaining clips with little teeth that also hold them on, but you basically just gotta pull!