Reproduction Hood Insulation

boostfrk

10 Year Member
Aug 30, 2011
Colorado
I'm trying to find the underhood insulation for my car. NPD has the original OEM version using original Ford tooling for $140; they also have a reproduction model for $28. the OEM version, of course, looks really fancy and, well, original. The reproduction version looks like a piece of similar material just cut to the rough shape of the OEM version. It appears you would have to cut the hole for the underhood light and punch the holes for the retaining clips that hold the insulation to the hood.

Does anyone have experience with the reproduction version, particularly from NPD? I'm not sure it's worth it to me to spring for the $140 version, but I don't want to waste my time and money with the reproduction version.

• Sponsors (?)

I think it's all up to you where you want to spend your money. With my car, I want a clean, almost stock looking car with some tasteful mods and everything working like it did when new (I'm still working on that) so that limits my budget for performance mods at the moment. Anything I'm replacing or fixing I try to use OEM Ford parts while there still available.

Check with your local Ford dealer, mine helps me with prices and I bought mine for $75. Looks great!
DSC_0469.jpg

Why do you want it? Just to have a restored look?
Correct, although I'm not after 100% restoration as that is more than budget allows. More of a restomod project.

Pull one from a j/y?
Searched high and low as that was the easiest option but nothing there.

got an original one still on the bottom of my stock hood, with the running horse and all. Excellent shape. $75 + ship if you want it. Post your email and I can send you some pictures.
I'll PM you. Thanks!

I think it's all up to you where you want to spend your money. With my car, I want a clean, almost stock looking car with some tasteful mods and everything working like it did when new (I'm still working on that) so that limits my budget for performance mods at the moment. Anything I'm replacing or fixing I try to use OEM Ford parts while there still available.

Check with your local Ford dealer, mine helps me with prices and I bought mine for $75. Looks great!
You and I are on the same page. This is what I'm after. Clean, almost stock looking car with tasteful mods that just slightly sets it off.

I've noticed how the OEM insulation is molded to fit the structural ribs on the underside of the hood. I wonder if the reproduction ones are like that too, or if it's just a flat sheet of the insulation material?