Reprogram the 5.0 computer

radtexas

Jul 25, 2006
Tyler, Texas
I have a kit car that I used a 92 Mustang 5.0 drivetrain. I eliminated all the polution stuff. I had it stroked to a 347, 30# injectors, larger cam, etc. I have the stock tune and it runs but very rich. Is there a way to send in the computer and have it reflashed with a mild tune to run on the new setup? I am sure they will want all the details but it is not in the best shape to take some where and would like to just reprogram and run. Is this possible? If so can someone pass on some good sources?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

No. You cannot have the computer "re-flashed". Instead, you would have it "chipped". Your best bet would be to find a dyno shop somewhere that can chip an A9L (or whatever EEC you ahve there). They'd load your car up on the dyno, take reading of your AFR and MAF and adjust the fuel tables and MAF accordingly.

If you're on the DIY path, then you might look into purchasing a wideband 02 meter and a piggyback like the PMS from Anderson Ford Motorsports.

If you're a complete air/fuel/fuel injection newb, you might want to steer away from that last option unless you have a buddy that can get you started.

re-flash? Thats way to 21st century. LOL GivaRatz is correct you need to find a dyno shop that can burn chips. Doesn't sound like an uncommon combo you have, what MAF are you running? If it's stock there is your problem, you're pulsing the 30's as if they were 19's

If the car doesn't run right, the dyno tune isn't going to fix anything.
Tuning is for adjusting, not repairing.
Swap out the C&L meter for a Pro M or pmas that is calibrated for 30's.

If the car doesn't run right, the dyno tune isn't going to fix anything.
Tuning is for adjusting, not repairing.
Swap out the C&L meter for a Pro M or pmas that is calibrated for 30's.

That totally depends on whether the fuel or MAF map is the source of the problem (i.e. mismatched). Although the C&L wouldn't be my pick and those you mentioned, I consider to be far better pieces, I've certainly seen folks that get great results with the C&L.

I bought a pmas for mine and it ran like CRAP all the way to the tuner. :)

Which polution stuff did you eliminate? Might be a clue as to why it's running like crud. Any codes coming up on the computer?

I agree with others that a dyno tune is the way to go. However...it's costly

I like my c&l and haven't had any problems yet fwiw

I would confirm the color on the sample tube and call c&l or use google to make sure it's calibrated for the 30s. (mine is blue and is matched for 24# inj.)

I can burn a custom chip for you that will update your computers tune for your maf, your injectors, the headers you may have, any changes in timing you want to make, and any emissions related gear you may have removed.

It will not be as good as a dyno tune, but it will be much, much less expensive and it will be much closer to ideal than running your stock computers tune, even with a "calibrated" maf.

PM me if you are interested.

Good luck....

I can burn a custom chip for you that will update your computers tune for your maf, your injectors, the headers you may have, any changes in timing you want to make, and any emissions related gear you may have removed.

It will not be as good as a dyno tune, but it will be much, much less expensive and it will be much closer to ideal than running your stock computers tune, even with a "calibrated" maf.

PM me if you are interested.

Good luck....

PM sent