Rerouting air(smog) pump to mass air, or throttlebody. ever thought of it?

staticc

Founding Member
Sep 28, 2002
Jupiter, FL
i was bored and thinking.
has anybody ever considered, rerouting their smog pump to the throttlebody, or. before the mass air meter, so it measures accurately.. i mean most people just junk these things anyways. why not try and put it to some use at least.

how much air do these things actually push anyways. im thinking like what. 1psi? somebody should try this at the track or dyno. maybe it wont even equal out the extra strain from the pulley. maybe its a cheap extra 5HP. who knows. maybe a company can throw together some cheap $20 kit of new tubing to make this work, if its worth it.

reason i thought of this, is my smog pump locked up on my '86 mustang and snapped the belt :mad: .. its got an offroad hpipe anyways

oh well, suggestions and comments welcome :)

• Sponsors (?)

staticc said:
i was bored and thinking.
has anybody ever considered, rerouting their smog pump to the throttlebody, or. before the mass air meter, so it measures accurately.. i mean most people just junk these things anyways. why not try and put it to some use at least.

how much air do these things actually push anyways. im thinking like what. 1psi? somebody should try this at the track or dyno. maybe it wont even equal out the extra strain from the pulley. maybe its a cheap extra 5HP. who knows. maybe a company can throw together some cheap $20 kit of new tubing to make this work, if its worth it.

reason i thought of this, is my smog pump locked up on my '86 mustang and snapped the belt :mad: .. its got an offroad hpipe anyways

oh well, suggestions and comments welcome :)

It's a vane type pump. Very ineficient.

a hooked up a heater motor to the air filter to my 2.3 when i was 16 and it made a slight difference about 5 mph in a 1/2 mile stretch. though it was cool at the time but i think on it and its sorta silly

ashford said:
a hooked up a heater motor to the air filter to my 2.3 when i was 16 and it made a slight difference about 5 mph in a 1/2 mile stretch. though it was cool at the time but i think on it and its sorta silly

OH MAN!!! YOU HAD AN ELECTIRC SUPER CHARGER!! :banana: :D

sorta off topic, but i love seeing those things on e-bay or what not..... :rlaugh: i love how they advertise them like the're the greatest thing since sliced bread and are gonna make you god among men with one, don't you love marketing?

-Bart

ECU5.0 said:
did any of yall see the picture in 5.0 and fast fords in the back with the toro leaf blower hooked up to the cold air intake...thought that was pretty funny

i know someone who did that to a festiva and almost doubled the hp. had the pull cord mounted in the dash (still laugh evertime i think about it)