Responsible or a panzy?

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
Was heading home tonight and before I made my turn to get on a highway I came up on a nice (not riced at all) last gen RX7. It looked stock exterior wise except for exhaust, but I pulled up beside him and saw what looked like an Apexi moniter/tuner sitting on his dash, so I assumed it was boosted due to the fact that it had the Apexi, and the fact that it was running a little on the rich side.

So anyway, he ends up making the same turn I am and he kind of jumps on it when I was behind him, so I sped up a little bit just to stay behind him... so we get on the highway and I go to pull around him (he wasnt getting up to speed too fast) and when I got beside him I heard him downshift and he edged up real quick, so I dropped a gear and gave it a little gas to see if he was actually gonna go. So he started to take off pretty quick, and I gave it some gas to stay kinda close, then I pulled next to him and gunned it real quick, to which he took off again... BUT, my stupid resonsible driver mode kicked in and I let off pretty quick, so we never really raced... just kinda nosed ahead of eachother, not even breaking the speed limit. But im sure it was a pretty quick car due to how nice he took off, they can be beastly.

So what would you guys have done..? Raced, or save it for the track? There werent any cars around, and he wanted to go... I did too, but I held back on dropping the hammer. Part of me feels good about that, part feels like a pu**y.

• Sponsors (?)

ya, i avoid street racing at all costs. sometimes i will screw around if its a car thats being annoying. i take most of my aggression out on a few roads here that involve a lot of late braking turning. the most fun part is riding the ass of an M3 through hard twisties.

bdcardinal said:
ya, i avoid street racing at all costs. sometimes i will screw around if its a car thats being annoying. i take most of my aggression out on a few roads here that involve a lot of late braking turning. the most fun part is riding the ass of an M3 through hard twisties.

but how is that any different from 2 cars lining up in the boonies on a deserted road?

bdcardinal said:
um cause road racing is cooler. besides i usually never go above like 60 when i drive that road.

road racing is very dangerous, I personally think there is a higher chance of a accident dealing with turns and "riding the ass of a M3" than there is with a straight line race thru a few gears.,.

neither one is ok to do, but I have had three people I know die in " road racing" accidents. None of these were straight line races all involved corners.

So just becuase you think road racing is cooler does not mean it's safer or should be done. :notnice: one of these times your doing all that cornering you may loose it go across into the other lane and hit a minivan full of kids head on.

I have done both types of racing on the street ( when I was younger I was very stupid) and all my close calls involved road type racing.

We just had a 15 year old girl that was a passenger die in a road race up in Denver. They crashed and she was the only one that got injured...

I might do a small light to light shot now and then but I try to resist the temptation. I get a lot of my frustrations out on my highway trip to and from work each day. Meaning I get to drive fast...

Cantslowdown said:
Take it to the track never know where the guy in blue might be!

for you guys maybe but i'm like judge dredd steven segal and the kindergarten cop all in on terminator body

so i'm above the law so far the "I AM THE LAW!" then i would look at the guy or probably girl in the rx-7 and i would say "Who is your daddy and What does he do!!" then its Hasta la viesta BABY!:shrug:

its a good thing you didnt race, that RX7 woulda raped your stock GT
:rlaugh:
seriously though, its not even worth the risk anymore. here in TX, if you get caught for street racing, your car gets impounded and you spend the night in jail til you make bail. it happened to my sis in her 98 GT, and yeah, it was the gayest *****in ***** ever.
along with what SVTTECH said, road racing def is the most dangerous. in our stangs, even a modified suspension is still a death trap. plus, it takes a lot more skill and practice to know how to drive the twisties. so much more ***** can happen too. understeer, oversteer, drifting, braking at the wrong time, suspension too stiff or too soft, tires bald or under-inflated/over-inflated, puddles, oncoming traffic, gravel.
i personally have seen the ill effects of road racing. me and a buddy were in his Audi TT AWD (very nice handling car) racing a Mach 1 on some twisties. the mach 1 pushed too hard through a turn, got sideways, fishtailed a couple times, went off the road and almost flipped. the car was totaled, and to make it worse, there was a cliff next to the road that he almost went off if he hadnt hit the tree. the kid almost died that night.

Good job staying off of it man. I have people trying to test me daily. I just ignore them. If I lose my license, I lose my job.

Also, I have been to high speed accidents where people thought they were in control. They, unfortunately, found out the hard way. :nonono:

Well its good to see there are some good drivers in the stang world... I was afraid you guys were gonna rag on me about being a chicken *****...:D

Either way, had it gone down im sure I would have lost pretty nice... but thats ok, he's boosted... im pretty much stock. Still a bad ass car.

I've gone from a dig a few times, and once almost lost it into oncoming traffic. That was probably within the first month of driving my own car.

I still occasionally do some quick launches, but I never go past around 60 on a 50 road.. I've hit 115 once (i was on the road by myself, I wasnt even racing) and then decided it was best not to do that again because the consequences are so great.

I've decided to be wise and keep fast speeds to the track. Atleast there I have a controlled environment and there are plently less things to go wrong.