resurfacing a flywheel? wtf?

94blackgt 1621

Jul 13, 2003
I'm fixing to replace my clutch cause mine is going out. I'm putting in a spec stage 1, and a friend of mine said something about resurfacing the flywheel...? what is he talking about, is this really necessary?
please reply fast

thanks
Chad

• Sponsors (?)

The flywheel gets glazed over and can have small heats cracks from use...its not uncommon to turn it down...you want a fresh surface for the new clutch. a bad surface can ruin or take the life right out of a new clutch...you should be able to see the glazing when you remove it...

94blackgt 1621 said:
I'm fixing to replace my clutch cause mine is going out. I'm putting in a spec stage 1, and a friend of mine said something about resurfacing the flywheel...? what is he talking about, is this really necessary?
please reply fast

thanks
Chad
yeah it costs about $40 to resurface....you can pick up a stock replacement from summit for around $70. Definately a good idea to either replace or resurface if your putting in a new clutch

I just put in a Spec stage 1 a few weeks ago. You must have the flywheel resurfaced or replaced. My local machine shop did mine for 30 bucks. Buying a brand new one is the best idea but I know I'm switching transmissions within a year so I didn't. Its a great clutch but it takes its time to break in. Dont worry if it takes more than 400 miles like the box says.

All you need to do is get an air die grinder, and a rough scotch brite wheel. Just clean up your flywheel with it until all you can see is swirl marks from the scotchbrite. My flywheel looked like ass, i did this, and i've had absolutely no problems with chatter or clutch wear for over a year now.

What ever you do, do not resurface the flywheel the 'homemade' way. Take it to a machine shop and get it done professionally, or buy a new one. A clutch should typically last 30-130k depending on how hard you are on the car. Even if the machine shop does resurface the flywheel, there is a possibility that the flywheel isn't going to be 'true' anymore, which makes the clutch wear faster and makes slow take off's feel like your driving a top fuel dragster. I would stop by the local Ford dealership and pick up a new flywheel, pilot bearing and front bearing retainer. Chances are that they are still from 94/95 and should be replaced anyhow. I got a new flywheel, pilot bearing, front bearing retainer, clutch and trans bolts for close to 50 bucks, but it's well worth it.

Joe

Wheer the Hell are you guys getting these flywheel prices from????

I checked summit and there $270 plus :shrug:

anyone got any links? I gotta put a new clutch in and if flywheels are that cheap ill replace it

But so far the cheapest ive seen was $190 i think :confused:

Call me ratarded, but I would guess it's just like doing your brakes, if the surface is out of shape, you just cut it down untill it's flat, but on the lowest part, only deep enough to expose a new surface. That's my contrived bs.

But still, I would opt for a new one. You might as well do it once, do it right, and it could ultimately be cheaper.

Dancing banana---> :banana:

Starscream88 said:
Wheer the Hell are you guys getting these flywheel prices from????

I checked summit and there $270 plus :shrug:

anyone got any links? I gotta put a new clutch in and if flywheels are that cheap ill replace it

But so far the cheapest ive seen was $190 i think :confused:

Summit part number is FMS-M6375B302 99.88$ Stock replacement. I was gonna buy it really soon.