Resurfacing Head Lights is a PITA

usaf_branham

15 Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Boston
after 8 hours of sanding (by hand) with 1000 grit / 2000 grit / rubbing compound / polishing compound / and applying a new finish on them, I finally have good looking headlights again.

i really cant believe how much of a difference it made, it almost makes the car look brand new again. why do our cars have to have such issues with the head lights?! :shrug: err... it was hard work, but it was definately worth it.

• Sponsors (?)

after 8 hours of sanding (by hand) with 1000 grit / 2000 grit / rubbing compound / polishing compound / and applying a new finish on them, I finally have good looking headlights again.

i really cant believe how much of a difference it made, it almost makes the car look brand new again. why do our cars have to have such issues with the head lights?! :shrug: err... it was hard work, but it was definately worth it.

PICS!!!

the material the lenses are made of whats known as plexi glass, tho it differs from poly carbonate 9which threy shouldve been made with that instead). poly carbonate is far superior because it un breakable and resists oxidation. over time the plastic oxidizes with the help of road grime, acids in the rain, and occasional hard water thats used to wash the car also uv rays from the sun turns it yellow. i did mine a year and a half ago, after i was done stood back and said "thats nice". the i got vct smoked tail lite spray from advance hit the tail lites and did 2 coates on the head lites, other than 1 small scratch (my kid hit it with her dora bouncy ball) they are still perfect. how is that you ask? well the paint is a protectant now so all the stuff that previously stated doestn get to the plastic in which the lense is made of.

Or, if you're gonna do it by hand, start with some lower grit sandpaper to speed up the cutting through the oxidized crap. Much faster to start low and work your way up then to try and remove a bunch of material with 1000 grit.

With all the talk about fixing headlights, I decided to fix a pair for my 04. My factory ones are too far gone to repair, but I got a free set of 99-00 lights and with about 2 hours with the 10$ Turtle Wax kit, they look brand new. Next I'm going to spray them lightly with some nightshades and clear and then wet sand.

Here's a couple of one finished and one the way I got them.

100_0761.jpg

100_0760.jpg

And one of them both done. They actually look clearer in person than what it looks like in the pic.

100_0763.jpg

So after taking the various sandpaper to the lenses and the polishing compounds do you have to put anything else on them to seal the plastic up or make it somewhat resistant to the oxidation?

I used the 3M kit on my 2002 GT and I had mixed results. It's hard to get right to the edges and mine also had some good sized marks from rocks, etc.

I ended up just buying brand new ones from late modem restoration for ~$130 (for both). They come with new headlight and turn signal bulbs too.

Riley

I dont think your headlights came out as clear as the ones I did....

IMG_3781Small.jpg

I don't do this kind of thing all the time either. That's the first set I've done, and it was by hand.

They are little bit more clear than they look in the pics.

Come on dude, don't be a one upper.

BTW, your headlight threads are what made me decide to try it anyway.

Not worth it all the time. The cracks were too deep and actually on the inside of the light. Picked up a new set with clear corners that looks much better IMO. Especially with the chrome coated turn signal bulb. Makes the front end look like pure sex.

You may have had better luck if you'd have had a rotary and some good polishing compounds. Sanding only takes you so far, to get them perfect you need a machine. It will make a world of difference :nice: