Resurrecting the stang from the dead...

buff531

Founding Member
May 11, 2000
Hanover Park, IL
Hey guys,
Man I haven’t been on this site forever…

Well I blew my motor YEARS ago… I think it was running to lean on my 19# injectors so that’s definitely on my list to upgrade…

Anyway I came across a used motor out of a 86 GT for $350. It has 67K original miles out of a friends of a friend car. He is a mechanic and knows mustangs like the back of his hand. He said he could clean the motor up and would recommend opening it up with some rockers and a cam to help with the blower… Here are some general questions I have. The car has been siting up in Minnesota for 5 years un-touched

• Will my flywheel and clutch be ok to reuse? Im guessing I would have to have the flywheel cut again to remove any rust build up from sitting around…
• Will my trans be ok since it sat for so long without fluid?
• I have a vortec A-trim blower… there’s some dust and what looks to be like those white things from dandelions that you blow… all over the blower… does this NEED to be re-built? If so would it be worthwhile to upgrade it to an S-trim if it is absolutely needed to be rebuilt? What would the increase in power be? Or would the blower run a lot more efficient with the different impeller
• What size injectors should I go with? Could I buy them used off e-bay (a lot cheaper) I do have a bigger fuel pump… The MAF has to be re-calibrated right?
• Is there anything else I should do / change / maintenance during this swap?

Ive been out of the car scene for quite awhile… thanks for all the help… glad to be back :SNSign::SNSign::SNSign:

Adam

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome back to the site. You can't stay gone forever, it's an addiction. :D

To be forwarned, the 86 has flat top pistons with no valve reliefs, so you'll be pretty limited on cam choice, if you're not comfortable, or willing to cut reliefs into the pistons. The Vortech shouldn't need a rebuild unless it's pretty plugged up with old oil. The S-trim upgrade is always worthwhile if you're looking to spend the money. I'm assuming it's a V1 head unit? It could probably be upgraded to Si-trim specifications for the same cost as upgrading an S-trim to Si specs. Of course how much power you're looking to make could very well mean you don't need that much CFM, since the Si flows in the neighborhood of 50 CFM less than a T-trim.

Your clutch and flywheel should also be fine, since the first time they have any friction on them, any rust will clean right up, just like it would on brake rotors. The transmission is probably fine, too. You'll definitely want to check the bearing retainer for any pitting if you have a steel retainer on the trans.

I'd go minimum of 42lb injectors on a supercharged application. I bypassed the 42's completely, in favor of some 60's because I may be planning more power down the road, and I also like the idea of going overkill, so I have no worries of my fuel system holding me back. I don't know the rest of your combo, to have any more ideas, such as your MAF, or any tuning that may need to be done, but this should get ya started. :nice:

well i did not know that about the 86's... he had two motors... the one out of the 86 GT was out of a personal friends of his so he knew the history of the motor and had quite a bit less miles on her... he built a 347 stroker for his buddy and has this engine sitting around...

the other is out of another car he did but he didnt know much about it or how the car was taken care of. I beleive that one was out of an 89 with 90 something thousand miles on it...

which would be better?

at this point... i just want to get the car running and drive the sucker. i havent felt power in such a long long long time. i think with that said ill get her running and modify it later. i need to get other odds and ends like a window fixed, new h-pipe etc...

that brings me to another questions. i have equal length headers. ive always wanted long tubes... is there much of a HP difference between the two?