Retro fit Rollers 351w

h8my408

Aug 27, 2007
Houston, Tx
Retro Fitting Roller Lifters 351w

Wondering if any plate style sbf roller lifters will work? I'm looking at a few different company's roller lifters, and I'm wondering if there is a difference between replacement roller lifters with the link bar, and the retro roller kits with the link bar? Perhaps a height difference in the lifters?

If I dont have to spend over $500, and can buy the regular upgrades for $300, why wouldnt I?

• Sponsors (?)

I know when I built my D4 (74) block we also were building an almost idenentical f4(94) roller block. Other than the holes already drilled and tapped in the valley there was no real visual difference. But once we started inspecting the lifter bores the older non roller block was noticably shorter and u can see why the reconmend different retro fit lifters. I have heard of guys using 302 parts, dog bones and they spyder vally (or what ever its called) and it works just fine, i have also read where others do that and it breaks a lifter bore.

I ran a hyd flat tappet cam and was just happy with it and it pulled to 7k like a monster.

To each their own. I'd save the money on the cam/lifter and get a custom grind for about 300 with lifters and that should make up most of the difference from an ots small circle base cam.

To answer ur ?, U have to buy the retro fit lifters or use the 302 parts with stock 302 type lifters.

The lifter are the same between 302 and 351w.
The difference is the height of the lifter bore itself.

Using a Standard base circle cam, with stock 302 lifters in a non-roller 351w block is when there is a problem.
This combination of parts will push the lifter too high in the lifter bore, and the oil passage on the lifter can actually protrude from the lifter bore. Obviously this affects oil pressure and volume in a negative way.

One solution people have used is to run a Reduced base circle cam. I did this once and will never do it again.

Spend the money on good lifters... in the long run it will be cheaper than having to replace valvetrain parts that have failed...