Return of the 5.0 Mustang

Did you read over posts # 8 and 15 ? Both V.V.T and Direct Injection will dramatically improve fuel efficiency over the current 4.6L, in addition to producing up to 400HP.

As far as I'm concerned the new 5.0 mod motor, is not only much better than the current 4.6L, but is also by far, much more technically advanced.

All in all, IMHO Ford is definitely moving forward, and going in the right direction !

Interesting.

I think Ford should be efforting an engine that is less-reliant on gasoline... like a Mustang hybrid. It seems that Ford is a bit lacking in the alternative fuels area... esp with Chevy's hybrid vehicles like the Silverado and Tahoe.

I would like to see a hybrid Mustang or an E-85 version.

Yes... that won't produce a ton of power, but it's a direction we'll be forced to go sooner or later.

• Sponsors (?)

Aren't the 5.0s a little bit overrated?

I mean come on... how much better can it be than the current 4.6 GT?

ESP with gas prices the way they are, isn't Ford going in the wrong direction?

Interesting.

I think Ford should be efforting an engine that is less-reliant on gasoline... like a Mustang hybrid. It seems that Ford is a bit lacking in the alternative fuels area... esp with Chevy's hybrid vehicles like the Silverado and Tahoe.

Yes... that won't produce a ton of power, but it's a direction we'll be forced to go sooner or later.

Are you sure you're driving the right kind of vehicle? :shrug:

I wouldn't be too surprised if most of ford's vehicles, in their next respective overhaul, come out as flexfuel (or whatever ford decides to call it). As for hybrids, ford has it's fair few, including the explorer hybrid.

What I'd like to see is more pure electric vehicles. With battery tech what it is these days I think the time is right. And for you fuel cell advocates, it is a very useful technology, just not in cars...
Dan

wtf

Interesting.

6er drivers??????? What are you going to do? Turning a post about a potential jaw dropping raw power beast into a "PRIUS", you should be ashamed of yourself. Go green in some other post, leave the raw power posts to those of us who dream in big block increments.

First of all, the Mustang is an American/muscle car icon, and not some economy box hybrid/electric.

For those who want flex fuel/hybrid vehicles, that want to go green. Should be looking towards either an Accord or Prius, and not an American muscle car such as the Mustang.

Just my $.02

Fine guys... you don't have to convince me that more muscle is better.

But...

Ford needs to at least create the option of an alternative fuel Mustang... even if it's ALONG with a gasoline powered version. I'm sorry, but that's just straight progressive and survivalist thinking.

If you think Ford can just crank out gas-guzzling Mustangs forever, well that's simply unrealistic. Someday, there will be exactly ZERO new cars running on gasoline.

Would you rather them just kill the Mustang? Because it's either that... or get away from gas.

I'll take a fuel cell Mustang over no Mustang.

Another thing...

Gasoline doesn't have the market cornered on power. Just because you get away from gas doesn't mean all hope is lost on a new generation of muscle cars.

All it requires is a new technology that is sustainable and can generate power.

What, you think it isn't possible to create a fuel cell Mustang with 400+ HP? If it was possible to harness cold fusion, they could make water engines that would blow gasoline engines off the highway.

no way

Gasoline will only be gone if we continue to elect those who refuse to drill for oil in Alaska, off the coast of California and Florida.

Gasoline will continue to cost more the longer we elect people that refuse to allow new oil refineries to be built with the use of the EPA as an enforcer....So keep it in mind when you vote...

When the Mustang stops being a gasoline powered legend.....it will only be a nameplate. Ill tell my grandkids about the good ole days.....

personally I'm sticking with my v-8 cause I figure when everyone goes green they will pretty much have to give the gas away and the gas prices will drop. besides all electric cars do is move the pollutants from the tail pipe to the power plant.

back to the original post:
I hope Ford drops a 350+ hp 5.0 in the new Mustang. my 06 will be well paid off by then. I can't wait

There is no inevitability about hybrid or electric vehicles. Nobody is forcing you to buy them. Don't buy them and they won't be economically viable to produce. They aren't even clean over a full life-cycle.

Take the words of Dylan Thomas as your anthem:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

There is no inevitability about hybrid or electric vehicles. Nobody is forcing you to buy them. Don't buy them and they won't be economically viable to produce.

That is true, if you're talking about the specific type of vehicle. But what is inevitable is the depletion of gasoline. What then?

I'm for an alternative fuel Stang that compares to or surpasses even the old school generation in terms of power.

Maybe that's a pipe dream. But maybe it isn't.

I hope it's not.