Return of the custom audio build diary!

• Sponsors (?)

3G upgrade along with all upgraded charging leads and grounds is part of the planned wiring which will start after I finish the construction of these parts. Gotta keep those old Phoenix Gold amps happy with lots of fresh current! :banana:

BaXTeR3221 said:
Damn that looks awesome :nice: I really wanted to try that fiberglass box, but it would require selling my 2 JL10w0's for 1 JL10w3 or something of that nature.

Nah, you dont have to sell em. Right now I am in the process of making a fiberglass wheel well box for 2 JL w0s. Actually I am doing a strikingly similar setup in my car as this thread. When I opened this thread I almost fell of my chair with excitement. Now I can see exactly how other people have placed things (i.e. amps) and I can now make a better decision on how to place mine (JL 4 channel E4300, JL 2 Channel E2150)

shootme5150 said:
Those are great panels... I'm going to be trying to stuff some 8s in my doors sometime this year, hope they turn out that well.
Thats what I did. :D
581377_67_full.jpg

581377_68_full.jpg

581377_69_full.jpg

581377_72_full.jpg

581377_73_full.jpg

89sleeper said:
Looking good Alan! :nice:

I like the door panels. Are you going to vinyl wrap them?

Keep up the great work! :flag:

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I guess they look a lot like yours, although the angles are a little different.

They will be wrapped in Select Products HF vinyl, the best (and only) stuff I'll use.

Question about your door panels: How did you get the shape? Is it foam that was shaped, then glassed? Or it is a stretch over rings like what I did?

Curious, always wondered from the pics.

alanw6 said:
Question about your door panels: How did you get the shape? Is it foam that was shaped, then glassed? Or it is a stretch over rings like what I did?

Curious, always wondered from the pics.
Actually it was all made out of wood peices glassed together, then smoothed with bondo, then vinyl wrapped. The peices used to pull the panel away from the door was like flexible 1/4" wood. (1/4" wood with little slits in it to allow it to bend.

Not the easiest way to do it trust me. ;)

I just made my rings out of MDF and put a hot coat of resin on them and bolted the rings to the door. The bottom panel is just a beauty panel that covers the rings.

Here is a picture of the rings bolted to the door.
581377_74_full.jpg

Dean85GT said:
Nah, you dont have to sell em. Right now I am in the process of making a fiberglass wheel well box for 2 JL w0s. Actually I am doing a strikingly similar setup in my car as this thread. When I opened this thread I almost fell of my chair with excitement. Now I can see exactly how other people have placed things (i.e. amps) and I can now make a better decision on how to place mine (JL 4 channel E4300, JL 2 Channel E2150)

I didn't think there would be enough air space to run both subs. Are you making seperate chambers?

Haha, Kevin, it looks like you decided to remove the vinyl on the lower door panel also! I wavered on this for a while, but will get a better, more secure mount with it gone.

I'm a little out of date on my JL specs, but 2 10W0's would need just a little more volume than the tub allows. Perhaps some polyfill stuffed in the box would help out.

Here's an older setup with 3 10W0's. It was hard to put this box on the curb for the trash man, but I just didn't need it anymore:

mustang1.jpg

There will be a coupe install coming up in about 2 months. My friend Mike is finishing up a complete rebuild of a 92 notch, and it will have a stereo system in place. We're going to squeeze subs, a battery, an amp and a bottle back there. There's also going to be some motorized "hidden" doors. It'll be trick I think. I'll post pics of that build as well, if it's of interest to anyone.

mustangben said:
What about guys with coupes anyone have some bad ass set ups for coupes i would like to see ... however i have a cage in my car now and dont think i can fit some subs!
Here's a budget setup I did in my coupe after seeing this thread the first time. It is all stealth, the carpet just goes over it.

Nah, there will be enough space for the two subs. I forgot to mention that they top will be fiberglass as opposed to a flat piece of mdf. So the subs will sit about at least 4-5 inches higher than the floor. Trust me, there is enough airspace, especially since the box will be sealed

BaXTeR3221 said:
Hey what are you using to attach the MDF to the figerglass for the sub enclosure?

Using fiberglass to attach the MDF baffle to the tub. For my box, I used Evercoat Kitty Hair, which is a chopped mat/resin blend. Really messy to use, but fills in seams with ease and dries rock solid.

You could easily just use chop mat and resin to build up the edges. The only real challenge is working through the sub hole(s). The larger cutout I made for the top chamber of the box made this a little easier on me.

alanw6 said:
Looks like it came out well Phil. How does it sound? I can't wait to listen to mine. :flag:
The funny thing is, the car currently does not have a head unit, speakers, or an amp :( . It is not being driven currently as I am slowly fixing it up. I guess when I am ready to add the rest of the stereo and start driving it, the nasty FG smell will be long gone. I did park my truck next to it and extended the wires from the amp in my truck to it, and it sounded pretty good. Not gonna win any db contests, but for me, it will be perfect. :flag: