Revving issues

86bluecobra

Advanced Member
Dec 20, 2004
B.C. Canada
I was at our local drag races :Track: and I had an issue with my car not pulling past 5200rpm in 2nd :nonono:. It was in the finals and i lost:notnice:. It was strange 1st pulled great but when I hit 2nd it pulled to 5200rpm and stopped. Well needless to say I lost the race. I have a MSD Dizzy and coil and digital 6 ignition box. My redline is set for 6800 rpm. I ohm'd out my coil and the primary and secondary are bang on specs. My engine is a 351w with a new Street Hp Holley on it. I was curious if anyone could come up with some ideas of where to look. My fuel pressure is set to 7psi at an idle. I do not know what it is at wide open throttle. Any suggestions would be great. The car happily pulls to 6500rpm but not this race. Thx in advance. :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Most of the experience here on Stangnet is with EFI systems that give you some codes to chase. Carb cars don't offer that feature.

Step 1.) Wire around any of the MSD stuff you have, especially the ignition box. Use whatever stock ignition components you have handy to bypass your current ignition system.

Step 2.) You could be running the carb float bowls dry, so check the fuel pressure and float level . You need a fireproof way to check the fuel pressure at the card inlet at the RPM & power levels where the problem happens. The reason I say fireproof is that while it is easy to stick a gauge and some fuel hose on a carb, it isn't safe to have it inside the car when it is hooked up in that manner.

Most of the experience here on Stangnet is with EFI systems that give you some codes to chase. Carb cars don't offer that feature.

Step 1.) Wire around any of the MSD stuff you have, especially the ignition box. Use whatever stock ignition components you have handy to bypass your current ignition system.

Step 2.) You could be running the carb float bowls dry, so check the fuel pressure and float level . You need a fireproof way to check the fuel pressure at the card inlet at the RPM & power levels where the problem happens. The reason I say fireproof is that while it is easy to stick a gauge and some fuel hose on a carb, it isn't safe to have it inside the car when it is hooked up in that manner.

I don't have any stock components left. So step 1 would be very hard. The ignition box is a week old. The old box finally let the smoke out 7 years after it was installed. As for the fireproof fuel pressure check, I was thinking about running a fuel line out my cowl and putting a gauge on it. Tempory of course. Tie Wrap it to a windshield wiper. If im being extra cautious I'll pull the fuse to the winshield wiper so I couldn't accidently try to rip the fuel line out. (doubt the windshield motor could do it) Ill try that.