Rich At Idle, Maybe Cruise Too

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
Is there a checklist for a RICH idle? It has No Codes except for the missing air pump and related valves. There are no cats, and it will periodically make your eyes burn at a stop sign and carbon up the rear bumper facia above the pipe. The fuel pressure is set to stock with the line removed. Rebuilt injectors, bigger throttle body and a new MAF did not change this. Good thing I installed them for performance reasons. There is no evidence of the regulator leaking gas up the adjustable regulator's vac line.

Is it time to check out the O2 sensor wires and replace the sensors? I do not know what type of fuel was run through it on the track before I got it.

Very light throttle granny driving only gets 10 mph from a hopped up 302 and 5 speed around town.

• Sponsors (?)

I would think that bad O2's would throw a code, but they never did on mine but I still went ahead and replaced them. Helped out a lot.
Do you know if the O2's are factory originals? If so, might as well get new ones with how old the ones are now.

No code 11 (two flashes when the computer dumps the codes)? A perfectly functioning system will always get a code 11, it is the everything is OK code.. The 11 code is computer passed its internal self test.
If you don't get an 11, you have severe computer or wiring problems.

Please check and repost.

The eye burning stink is pollution from incomplete combustion of the gasoline. Since you don't have catalytic converters, you will just have to live with it until you fix the emission control equipment on the car.

Removing the pollution control equipment from a 5.0 Mustang is a bad idea. All you have accomplished is to make the computer mad and spit codes. The pollution control equipment all shuts off at wide open throttle, so the HP losses from it on the car are 2-5 HP. The catalytic converters may soak a few more HP than that. None of the pollution control equipment reduces the HP enough to cost you a race in anything but professional drag strip competition. I seriously doubt that you will be in the final runoff on “Pinks”, so leave the smog equipment in place and make sure it is working correctly.

Know what does what before removing it. Remove or disable the wrong thing and the computer sets the check engine light and runs in "limp mode". Limp mode means reduced power and fuel economy.

Here's a book that will get you started with how the Ford electronic engine control or "computer" works.

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 by James Probst :ISBN 0-8376-0301-3.

It's about $20-$45 from Borders.com see http://www.amazon.com/ . Select boo...le to check cars, but it is still Federal law.

I own a pre cat. convertor car with a carb -and know this is not just normal fumes. I did not pull the emissions parts. It was being used for racing and I wish I had the parts the last owner stripped. I doubt the missing cats and air pump helped times that much. The new maf and rebuilt injectors match, and it did it with the stock ones. This much fuel is like a Holley with a bad power valve. I'll re read for other answers. So just in case, what sould stock pressure be set to?

I will check to see if the MAP sensor is hooked up. Any suggestions on how to test it? I will re test to get the code numbers, but they were related to the missing air divertor valve. I need the pump, hoses, divertor valve, and new cats. And a better salvage yard to get the parts from. For now, the two vac lines are capped off. Any other ideas befoe I get under the hood?

I own a pre cat. convertor car with a carb -and know this is not just normal fumes. I did not pull the emissions parts. It was being used for racing and I wish I had the parts the last owner stripped. I doubt the missing cats and air pump helped times that much. The new maf and rebuilt injectors match, and it did it with the stock ones. This much fuel is like a Holley with a bad power valve. I'll re read for other answers. So just in case, what sould stock pressure be set to?

Your talking about two different things here..... is the car carburated or fuel injected???

Reactions: 1 user
Bad O2 sensors will make the car run pig rich. Might not set a code either.
However, that is just one possibility.
A bad fuel pressure regulator will run the car rich too.
When they are going out, they begin leaking fuel past the diaphram, then the engine sucks it in via the vacuum line.

The MAP should NOT be hooked to vacuum if your car has a MAF.
If you are running SD (no MAF), then it gets vacuum.

I know what you are saying... Just because you don't have cats does not mean the car will automatically run rich.
Cars without cats won't make your eyes burn if they are running right.

Either ALSO OWN or have owned is what I meant. I am Typing on a phone and a bumpy road. Yes, just pulling the cats will not make it smell like a 1960's Corvair with the choke closed on a hot day. I hope I do not get exiled for saying a Chevy name here.

OK I AM CONFUSED NOW. I warmed up the car, performed KOEO, and I did not like the codes. I cleared them, went for another drive, ran the test again and got very different codes.
TEST 1
23 (TPS out of range? Something must have vibrated out of place and I can adjust this)
34 (The EGR problem must be back and I have link to http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/idles-poorly-and-can-backfire-until-warmed-up.838290/ for EGR issues.)
14 (pip circut failure???)
34 (EGR again)
63 (TP below minimun voltage? I can check and adjust)
96 (Fuel Pump Secondary circut fault / high speed fuel pump relay open?) I have seen this once
in a while on this car and need to know if there is an easy fix or how concerned I need to be!

TEST 2, I got ONLY the following numbers.
23, 34, 10 and 11.
WHAT is likely going on and how should I proceed? Is it safe to take on the road?
Thanks for the help! The new O2 sensors (that I'll replace for mileage and test the wires at that time) are still in the box until I hear more on what to do.
Thanks for the help!!!

The combination of codes 23 & 63 suggest to a problem with the wiring or connectors for the signal return ground. Clean and check the resistance between each signal ground and the 10 pin connector signal ground pin. you should see less than 1 ohm. Check & clean the TPS & EGR connectors.

attachment.php

Code 23 - Throttle sensor out of range or throttle set too high - TPS needs to be reset to below 1.2 volts at idle. Keep in mind that when you turn the idle screw to set the idle speed, you change the TPS setting.
You'll need a Digital Voltmeter (DVM) to do the job.

Wire colors & functions:
Orange/white = 5 volt VREF from the computer
Dark Green/lt green = TPS output to computer
Black/white = Signal ground from computer

Always use the Dark Green/lt green & Black/white wires to set the TPS base voltage.

Do the test with the ignition switch in the Run position without the engine running.

Use the Orange/white & Black white wires to verify the TPS has the correct 5 volts source from the computer.

When you installed the sensor make sure you place it on the peg right and then tighten it down properly. Loosen the back screw a tiny bit so the sensor can pivot and loosen the front screw enough so you can move it just a little in very small increments. I wouldn’t try to adjust it using marks. Set it at .6.v-.9 v.

1. Always adjust the TPS and Idle with the engine at operating temp. Dive it around for a bit if you can and get it nice and warm.

2. When you probe the leads of the TPS, do not use an engine ground, put the ground probe into the lead of the TPS. You should be connecting both meter probes to the TPS and not one to the TPS and the other to ground.

If setting the TPS doesn’t fix the problem, then you may have wiring problems.
With the power off, measure the resistance between the black/white wire and battery ground. You should see less than 2 ohms. Check the same black /white wire on the TPS and MAP/Baro sensor. More than 1 ohm there and the wire is probably broken in the harness between the engine and the computer. The 10 pin connectors pass the black/white wire back to the computer, and can cause problems.

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host)

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/88-91eecPinout.gif

See the graphic for the 10 pin connector circuit layout.
salt-pepper-10-pin-connectors-65-jpg.68512

The injector power pin is the VPWR pin in the black 10 pin connector.

Code 34 Or 334 - EGR voltage above closed limit –

Revised 26-Sep-2011 to add EGR cleaning and movement test for pintle when vacuum is applied to diaphragm

Failed sensor, carbon between EGR pintle valve and seat holding the valve off its seat. Remove the EGR valve and clean it with carbon remover. Prior to re-installing see if you can blow air through the flange side of the EGR by mouth. If it leaks, there is carbon stuck on the pintle valve seat clean or, replace the EGR valve ($85-$95).

Recommended procedure for cleaning the EGR:
Conventional cleaning methods like throttle body cleaner aren’t very effective. The best method is a soak type cleaner used for carburetors. If you are into fixing motorcycles, jet skis, snowmobiles or anything else with a small carburetor, you probably have used the one gallon soak cleaners like Gunk or Berryman. One of the two should be available at your local auto parts store for $22-$29. There is a basket to set the parts in while they are soaking. Soak the metal body in the carb cleaner overnight. Don’t immerse the diaphragm side, since the carb cleaner may damage the diaphragm. If you get any of the carb cleaner on the diaphragm, rinse it off with water immediately. Rinse the part off with water and blow it dry with compressed air. Once it has dried, try blowing through the either hole and it should block the air flow. Do not put parts with water on them or in them in the carb cleaner. If you do, it will weaken the carb cleaner and it won’t clean as effectively.

Gunk Dip type carb & parts soaker:
21hb0QWbOeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If you have a handy vacuum source, apply it to the diaphragm and watch to see if the pintle moves freely. Try blowing air through either side and make sure it flows when the pintle retracts and blocks when the pintle is seated. If it does not, replace the EGR.

If the blow by test passes, and you have replaced the sensor, then you have electrical ground problems. Check the resistance between the black/white wire on the MAP/BARO sensor and then the black/white wire on the EGR and the same wire on the TPS. It should be less than 1.5 ohm. Next check the resistance between the black/white wire and the negative battery post. It should be less than 1.5 ohm.

Note that all resistance tests must be done with power off. Measuring resistance with a circuit powered on will give false readings and possibly damage the meter.

Let’s put on our Inspector Gadget propeller head beanies and think about how this works:
The EGR sensor is a variable resistor with ground on one leg and Vref (5 volts) on the other. Its’ resistance ranges from 4000 to 5500 Ohms measured between Vref & ground, depending on the sensor. The center connection of the variable resistor is the slider that moves in response to the amount of vacuum applied. The slider has some minimum value of resistance greater than 100 ohms so that the computer always sees a voltage present at its’ input. If the value was 0 ohms, there would be no voltage output. Then the computer would not be able to distinguish between a properly functioning sensor and one that had a broken wire or bad connection. The EGR I have in hand reads 700 Ohms between the slider (EPV) and ground (SIG RTN) at rest with no vacuum applied. The EGR valve or sensor may cause the voltage to be above closed limits due to the manufacturing tolerances that cause the EGR sensor to rest at a higher position than it should.

The following sensors are connected to the white 10 pin connector (salt & pepper engine harness connectors)
attachment.php

This will affect idle quality by diluting the intake air charge

b]Code 63[/b] - Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) signal too low.

Revised 02-Jul-2009 to update TPS setting procedure & add 10 pin connector layout.

Vref missing (5 volt reference voltage supplied by the computer), bad connections or damaged wiring, TPS sensor failed, TPS sensor way out of adjustment. Use a DVM to check for 5 volts on the Orange wire. If it is missing, look for +5 volts at the Orange wire on the EGR or MAP/Baro sensor located on the firewall near the center of the car. If there is +5 volts on the MAP/Baro sensor, but not on the EGR, clean the #2 & #5 pin on the white 10 pin connector. If there is +5 volts on the EGR but not on the TPS, look for bad wiring inside the engine fuel injector harness.

See the graphic for the 10 pin connector circuit layout.
salt-pepper-10-pin-connectors-65-jpg.68512

Setting the TPS voltage
You'll need a Digital Voltmeter (DVM) to do the job.

Wire colors & functions:
Orange/white = 5 volt VREF from the computer
Dark Green/lt green = TPS output to computer
Black/white = Signal ground from computer

Always use the Dark Green/lt green & Black/white wires to set the TPS base voltage.

Do the test with the ignition switch in the Run position without the engine running.

Use the Orange/white & Black white wires to verify the TPS has the correct 5 volts source from the computer.
Setting the TPS: you'll need a good Digital Voltmeter (DVM) to do the job. Set the TPS voltage at .5- 1.1 range. Because of the variables involved with the tolerances of both computer and DVM, I would shoot for somewhere between .6 and 1.0 volts. Unless you have a Fluke or other high grade DVM, the second digit past the decimal point on cheap DVM’s is probably fantasy.

Since the computer zeros out the TPS voltage every time it powers up, playing with the settings isn't an effective aid to performance or drivability. The main purpose of checking the TPS is to make sure it isn't way out of range and causing problems.

The Orange/White wire is the VREF 5 volts from the computer. You use the Dark Green/Lt green wire (TPS signal) and the Black/White wire (TPS ground) to set the TPS. Use a pair of safety pins to probe the TPS connector from the rear of the connector. You may find it a little difficult to make a good connection, but keep trying. Put the safety pins in the Dark Green/Lt green wire and Black/White wire. Make sure the ignition switch is in the Run position but the engine isn't running.

Always adjust the TPS and Idle with the engine at operating temp. Dive it around for a bit if you can and get it nice and warm.

When you probe the leads of the TPS, do not use an engine ground, put the ground probe into the lead of the TPS. You should be connecting both meter probes to the TPS and not one to the TPS and the other to ground.

The TPS is a variable resistor, much like the volume control knob on a cheap radio. We have all heard them crackle and pop when the volume is adjusted. The TPS sensor has the same problem: wear on the resistor element makes places that create electrical noise. This electrical noise confuses the computer, because it expects to see a smooth increase or decrease as the throttle is opened or closed.

TPS testing: most of the time a failed TPS will set code 23 or 63, but not always. Use either an analog meter or a DVM with an analog bar graph and connect the leads as instructed above. Turn the ignition switch to the Run position, but do not start the engine. Note the voltage with the throttle closed. Slowly open the throttle and watch the voltage increase smoothly, slowly close the throttle and watch the voltage decrease smoothly. If the voltage jumps around and isn’t smooth, the TPS has some worn places in the resistor element. When the throttle is closed, make sure that the voltage is the same as what it was when you started. If it varies more than 10%, the TPS is suspect of being worn in the idle range of its travel.

Code 14 - Ignition pickup (PIP) was erratic – the hall effect sensor in the distributor is failing. Bad sensor, bad wiring, dirty contacts.

The PIP is a Hall Effect magnetic sensor that triggers the TFI and injectors. There is a shutter wheel alternately covers and uncovers a fixed magnet as it rotates. The change in the magnetic field triggers the sensor. They are often heat sensitive, increasing the failure rate as the temperature increases.

The PIP sensor is mounted in the bottom of the distributor under the shutter wheel. In stock Ford distributors, you have to press the gear off the distributor shaft to get access to it to replace it. Most guys just end up replacing the distributor with a reman unit for about $75 exchange

Code 96 for 86-90 model 5.0 Mustang – KOEO- Fuel pump monitor circuit shows no power - Fuel pump relay or battery power feed was open - Power / Fuel Pump Circuits. The fuel pump lost power at some time while the ignition switch was in the run position. The main power feed to the pump is what is losing power.

Look for a failing fuel pump relay, bad connections or broken wiring. The fuel pump relay is located under the passenger seat. On Mass Air Conversions, the signal lead that tells the computer that the fuel pump has power may not have been wired correctly.
See http://www.stangnet.com/tech/maf/massairconversion.html

attachment.php

Look for power at the fuel pump - the fuel pump has a connector at the rear of the car with a pink/black wire and a black wire that goes to the fuel pump. The pink/black wire should be hot when the test connector is jumpered to the test position. . To trick the fuel pump into running, find the ECC test connector and jump the connector in the lower RH corner to ground.
attachment.php

86-90 Models:
Using the diagram, check the red/black wire from the fuel pump relay: you should see 12 volts or so. If not, check the inertia switch: on a hatch it is on the drivers side by the taillight. Look for a black rubber plug that pops out: if you don't find it, then loosen up the plastic trim. Check for voltage on both sides of the switch. If there is voltage on both sides, then check the Pink/black wire on the fuel pump relay: it is the power feed to the fuel pump. Good voltage there, then the fuel pump body to tank wiring harness connector is the likely culprit since it is getting power. No voltage there, check the Orange/Lt blue wire, it is the power feed to the fuel pump relay & has a fuse link in it. Good voltage there & at the Pink/black wire, swap the relay.

Keep in mind that the relay wiring and socket can also cause intermittent problems. Clean the relay socket with non-flammable brake parts cleaner or electrical contact cleaner. If you find damaged wiring at the relay socket, replacement pigtail socket assemblies are available at the auto parts stores. Be sure to solder the wires and cover the solder joints with heat shrink tubing if you replace the relay socket.

fuel-pump-wiring-89-90-5-0-mustang-jpg.55493

Dear Jrichker,
1. I have a 1991, does that change the info much? I see the fuel pump relay lists up to 1990 and also the diagram goes to 1995. Either way - It sounds like I am on borrowed time until something dies, right? Same with the PIP problem, right? I also wonder if any of this explain my first symptom or a rich idle?

2 "The combination of codes 23 & 63 suggest to a problem with the wiring or connectors for the signal return ground. Clean and check the resistance between each signal ground and the 10 pin connector signal ground pin. you should see less than 1 ohm. Check & clean the TPS & EGR connectors." The TPS and EGR sensor are new, but the harness is factory. For cleaning the signal grounds, are you are you asking me to clean the connector only or is there a physical ground to the motor or body I need to get at too? I think I need to know where the "White Connector Pin 1 Signal Ground" from the picture goes to. Is that also known as "Signal Return for Sensors" in the salt and pepper connectors picture?

I may have more questions as I get under the hood, so thanks for the help so far!

A note for those buying a Foxy Fox body- a good looking and running 21 year old car can still have a boat load of bugs pop up!

Signal ground and signal return are the same thing

The signal ground/signalreturn itself is back inside the computer. Since you didn't get a code 22, code 21 or code 24, or any combination thereof, that suggests the ground inside the computer is working OK.

Clean the connectors with electrical contact cleaner, then use an ohmmeter/DVM to check the resistances. The pretty Y/Diamond shaped diagram helps to to understand there all the wires go.

Life happened and I had to get the car into the shop to chase down the fuel pump code issue before it died. AND the EGR code is gone by itself. So is the PIP code. See below, but it looks like I'll clean the contacts etc. myself.

Anyway, even though I warned The Boss the air pump divertor valves and cats are gone (for now) THEY LOOKED UNDER THE HOOD AND FREAKED OUT AT THE AFTERMARKET PIECES (ported intake, headers, BBK intake and MSD coil only). My questions are "Are the diagnostics the SAME with aftermarket performance parts as with OTC aftermarket and stock replacements, right?" I have not touched the fuel pump system and it (the code) should be easy to chase down for an experienced tech? Even if the previous owner added a higher volume in tank pump, right? I do not have FAST or the whole MSD capacitive discharge system.

Same computer, same diagnostics, and they work just as good on a modified engine as a stock one as long as the sensors and wiring are in good shape.

Clear the codes by disconnecting the battery and turning on the headlights for about 5 minutes before reconnecting the battery. This will clear any remaining codes. Drive the car for several days and dump the codes again. In many cases, this clears the 96 code.

Code 96 causes & tests 91-93 models. – KOEO- Fuel pump monitor circuit shows no power - Fuel pump relay or battery power feed was open - Power / Fuel Pump Circuits. The fuel pump circuit lost power at one time or another.

Look for a failing fuel pump relay, bad connections or broken wiring. The fuel pump relay is located under the Mass Air Meter on Fox bodied stangs built after 91. On earlier model cars is under the passenger seat. On Mass Air Conversions, the signal lead that tells the computer that the fuel pump has power may not have been wired correctly. See Mustang Mass Air Conversion | StangNet

Diagram of the fuel pump wiring for 91-93 cars.
attachment.php

Look for power at the fuel pump - the fuel pump has a connector at the rear of the car with a pink/black wire and a black wire that goes to the fuel pump. The pink/black wire should be hot when the test connector is jumpered to the test position. To trick the fuel pump into running, find the ECC test connector and jump the connector in the lower RH corner to ground. No voltage when jumpered, check the fuel pump relay and fuse links.

attachment.php

Power feed: Look for 12 volts at the pink/black wire (power source for fuel pump relay). No voltage or low voltage, bad fuse link, bad wiring, or connections. Remember that on 92 or later models the fuel pump relay is located under the Mass Air meter. Watch out for the WOT A/C control relay on these cars, as it is located in the same place and can easily be mistaken for the fuel pump relay.

Relay: Turn on the key and jumper the ECC test connector as previously described. Look for 12 volts at the dark green\yellow wire (relay controlled power for the fuel pump). No voltage there means that the relay has failed, or there is a broken wire in the relay control circuit.

attachment.php

91-93 Models:
Using the diagram, check the dark green/yellow wire from the fuel pump relay: you should see 12 volts or so. If not the relay has failed or is intermittent. Check the inertia switch: on a hatch it is on the drivers side by the taillight. Look for a black rubber plug that pops out: if you don't find it, then loosen up the plastic trim. Check for voltage on both sides of the switch. If there is voltage on both sides, then check the Pink/black wire on the fuel pump relay: it is the power feed to the fuel pump. Good voltage there, then the fuel pump is the likely culprit since it is getting power. No voltage there, check the Pink/black wire, it is the power feed to the fuel pump relay & has a fuse link in it. Good voltage there & at the dark green/yellow wire, swap the relay.

All testing is done with the ignition switch in the Run position. Do not forget this crucial step.

The pink/black wire s should have the same voltage as the battery positive terminal +/- 0.25 volt. If not, then the fuse link for the fuel pump has opened up.

With the test jumper in place the green/yellow wire should be the same voltage as the pink/black wire +/- 0.25 volt.

If not, look at the red wire: should have the same voltage as the battery positive terminal +/- 0.25 volt.
If not, then check the yellow wire on the EEC relay located on top of the computer. This one is hard to get to. It should have the same voltage as the battery positive terminal +/- 0.25 volt. If not, then the fuse link for the computer has opened up.

If the red wire does not have the same voltage as the battery positive terminal +/- 0.25 volt and the yellow wire on the EEC relay does, then check the red/green wire on the EEC relay. It should have the same voltage as the battery positive terminal +/- 0.25 volt. If not, then the ignition switch is defective or the fuse link in the ignition wiring harness has opened up, or the EEC relay is defective.

All testing is done with the ignition switch in the Run position. Do not forget this crucial step.

The pink/black wire s should have the same voltage as the battery positive terminal +/- 0.25 volt. If not, then the fuse link for the fuel pump has opened up.

With the test jumper in place the green/yellow wire should be the same voltage as the pink/black wire +/- 0.25 volt.

If not, look at the red wire: should have the same voltage as the battery positive terminal +/- 0.25 volt.
If not, then check the yellow wire on the EEC relay located on top of the computer. This one is hard to get to. It should have the same voltage as the battery positive terminal +/- 0.25 volt. If not, then the fuse link for the computer has opened up.

If the red wire does not have the same voltage as the battery positive terminal +/- 0.25 volt and the yellow wire on the EEC relay does, then check the red/green wire on the EEC relay. It should have the same voltage as the battery positive terminal +/- 0.25 volt. If not, then the ignition switch is defective or the fuse link in the ignition wiring harness has opened up, or the EEC relay is defective.

Diagram courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds
IgnitionSwitchWiring.gif

Same computer, same diagnostics, and they work just as good on a modified engine as a stock one as long as the sensors and wiring are in good shape.

Clear the codes by disconnecting the battery and turning on the headlights for about 5 minutes before reconnecting the battery. This will clear any remaining codes. Drive the car for several days and dump the codes again. In many cases, this clears the 96 code.

Code 96 causes & tests 91-93 models. – KOEO- Fuel pump monitor circuit shows no power - Fuel pump relay or battery power feed was open - Power / Fuel Pump Circuits. The fuel pump circuit lost power at one time or another.
(added italics and bold)

Thank you, I really needed an expert to say that. It was pretty much what I told the Boss. These are all stock replacement parts as far as the computer and diagnostics go. (It does not matter if a part says Ford, BWD, Accel or MSD) Their repair procedures will be the same, and the same to test for proper function or wiring problems. Also thanks for the additional fuel related diagrams. That code keeps popping up and I will dig into it. Life happened to their one diagnostic mechanic so the car is coming back without being touched. I hope this weekend is this nice - I hope to be be spending some quality time with my meters, 12v tester, electrical cleaner, and maybe even my home made noid light.

MID PROCEDURE QUESTION:I started by cleaning and checking the wires for the TPS and EGR. My ground restances are at 0.4 to 0.6 ohms. That includes the resistance over to the negative battery post. I had about 4.94+ volts ref signal before cleaning the terminals (things are drying after being cleaned, then I'll use dialectric grease and put them together.) The EGR sensor, EGR valve are new and the EGR controller are recently new. I have not pulled the kick panel and started checking pins.

Salt shaker pin 3 to the EGR valve reads good, and I had reference voltage to start.

What else can make the EGR (code 34) range read too high with the both the stock valve and the new Wells one? What do I do about it? Thanks!

Get out your voltmeter and start checking the EGR voltage between the white connector pin 1 and white connector pin 3. We will have to figure out where the computer senses an overvoltage and trips. That may take some digging...

If I have the right pins, at 72 deg (cold) pin 1 to pin 3 measures 3 Volts. Warmed up, it measures .84 V to .65 V. Those readings sound like what one of the temp sensors should read according to an old post, but I am new to this. It did not seem to vary with RPM. What should it be?

I checked my digital Sunpro meter ohms readings by putting the tips together. It measures .6 ohms. (I wish I could zezo it.) So I remeasured the sensor ground to the negative battery terminal on the following sensors; TPS, ACT, ECT, and EGR. All are fine.

TPS voltage was .4 Volts. I do not know why it had changed to so low, but it is now reset to .86 V. What is next?